MacbookPro 15' won't boot ever after sleep

Reaction score
Hi, this may not be the right place to post, sorry if it is.

I have a macbookpro 15' aluminum from 2009. Two mornings ago, I woke up and try to start up my laptop from the sleep state, nothing happened. The screen was black, and all the buttons were not responsive. However, the white light was always on. The only option I had was to shut down the laptop by holding the power button. From that point, the laptop just went straight into that state whenever I tried to start it. Later that day, I turned it on by holding down the command+control+ power button simultaneously. I left my laptop to sleep mode again that night (I thought the problem would not happen again, I was wrong :( )

The same exact thing happened again on the next morning ! I have not been able to boot my laptop ever since, even with the command+control+pbutton.
I put the factory Disc in for both times, I don't know whether it played a role or not. The disc is currently stuck in due the fact that i can't inject it from the laptop.

I have tried various methods that I have found on the web, such as holding C or just C by itself when the laptop boots; control+cmd+P+R.

This is it for my very sloppy description of the problem. I have never experienced any major problems with this laptop, so yea. Thank you for your time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like you have a hardware problem. But even if the hard drive had failed, you should still be able to boot from the startup DVD. Not much you can do to run tests and diagnostics if you can't get it to turn on. If your machine is still covered under warranty or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment to take it on in and have them look at it.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try doing a SMC reset here then see if it will boot. This for an earlier model so u may have to check method for your MBP. Had a similar issue with mine and doing the SMC reset first thing with cold laptop and it came right.

OP
J
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a hardware problem. But even if the hard drive had failed, you should still be able to boot from the startup DVD. Not much you can do to run tests and diagnostics if you can't get it to turn on. If your machine is still covered under warranty or Apple care, you might want to make an appointment to take it on in and have them look at it.

Regards.
Thx for the reply. Yea, I tried booting with the CD by holding the command C I believe? it never worked on me.... and I am just out of warranty, with no additional support. I guess I can still take the laptop to the Genius bar and let them take a look at it at least?

Try doing a SMC reset here then see if it will boot. This for an earlier model so u may have to check method for your MBP. Had a similar issue with mine and doing the SMC reset first thing with cold laptop and it came right.

Thank for the reply. I have done that many times up to this point now, it is not working for me. As I mentioned in my post, I booted the laptop successfully on the first day when it happened by using a Force Start (and it is not working anymore, maybe I just got lucky that time) . Nothing seems to be working at the moment. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.