How do you set a main screen background?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
You know, like wallpaper on my MacBook pro but on the iPhone. I have a picture set as my "wallpaper" already on the phone but when I enter my passcode to unlock my phone the picture vanishes and I'm stuck with the normal main screen. I want to have my own photo or picture on this main screen behind the icons and folders. I was sure that this was an option in ios4 but I can not figure out how to do it. Any help or info on this would be great. Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If you have an iPhone 3G, then that feature is not available.

Reaction score
iPhone 2G and iPod touch (first generation)- not supported

iPhone 3G and 2nd gen iPod touch:

-no multitasking
-no Home Screen background
-no Bluetooth keyboard functionality
-no portrait orientation locking (or so I suspect)

iPhone 3GS and 3rd gen iPod touch- all features supported

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Dang it... I have the 3G. I wonder why that is not supported. It does not seem like a big deal to add a picture to the background. Oh well, I love what I got so it's not a huge deal.

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Dang it... I have the 3G. I wonder why that is not supported. It does not seem like a big deal to add a picture to the background. Oh well, I love what I got so it's not a huge deal.

Thanks guys.

I personally think the black background just shows the icons better- it makes 'em pop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Steve (Jobs) answer to no wallpaper on Springboard:

The icon animation with backgrounds didn’t perform well enough.

Reaction score
Steve (Jobs) answer to no wallpaper on Springboard:

that is such BS.....been doing that with jailbroken 3G iphones for years

what Jobs does is he intentionally takes away certain features on the model from two years ago so that it makes you want to buy the new phone....he did it last year with the original iphone not having a bunch of features as well on OS 3......god that makes me angry

think about it....if the new multitasking doesn't take away any processing power, then why would they say the processor of the 3G can't support multitasking!? I'm sorry but the crummy processors in older palm phones have had multitasking for years

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, he's right. The way they implemented backgrounds is different than jailbroken backgrounds, it requires more processing power. There was a more in depth explanation posted somewhere, I'm sure you can find it.

Also, the 3G really can't handle multitasking. I tried it when I had my phone jailbroken and it really slows to a crawl. The phone has a slower processor and half the memory of the 3GS, so the performance makes sense.

Finally, you can enable all the missing features if you jailbreak 4.0. However, it's not recommended as most people who do complain about how frustratingly slow it is because of the backgrounds and multitasking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.