MBP To LCD TV Hookup?

Reaction score
I got a 4 year old mbp model and I would like to plug it into my LCD TV so I can watch movies, I will need both audio and video signals. The thing is that I ran into a problem, I have a DVI output and a couple of firewire outputs and USB ports. Is there a way that I can somehow get the correct cable to connect them to make this work? My friend uses a simple HDMI cable and it works great he gets audio and video, but I am not so lucky since I don't have an HDMI output. I do have a VGA converter that converts it from DVI to VGA (it works but the picture ain't that great and there is no audio) My tv has all kind of inputs so thats not a problem, you name it the tv has it. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
For video, I'd suggest a DVI-HDMI adapter (something like this). For audio, I'd suggest using your MBP's digital audio-out port (a 3.5mm jack) and hooking it up via TOSlink (assuming your TV has this input, which I'd guess it does).

Hope that helps.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For video, I'd suggest a DVI-HDMI adapter (something like this). For audio, I'd suggest using your MBP's digital audio-out port (a 3.5mm jack) and hooking it up via TOSlink (assuming your TV has this input, which I'd guess it does).

Hope that helps.

There are extremely few TVs that even have an optical audio in.

I have yet to see a TV that has an optical in that works with the HDMI ports. So you would be guessing wrong.
There very well could be one, but there certainly hasn't been a single one of any of the TVs that our users here have asked for help that have had one.

And for the op, you wouldn't want that particular DVI-HDMI adapter either unless you already have a DVI cable that you want to use.

If you want a definitive answer as to your options for getting both video and sound to your TV from your MacBook, you will need to provide the information requested in the first post in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

And I'm sorry zacharace, but if you want to help people get their Macs connected to their TV, you need to do a little more than throw out links to a web site you're representing that sells that stuff. Yeah, the owner of that site offered to give me a free cable to put up links there also.

And here's the same adapter for approx. 1/3 the price - link.

edit: The primary reason for no 'optical in' on TV sets is because none of them have 5.1 speakers inside them - the primary reason for using optical in lieu of RCA or a stereo mini-plug in most cases. It's also why many of them do have optical out, because they do have the capability of receiving broadcast 5.1 signals and then passing it to your 5.1 A/V receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.