Macbook/Trendnet router = terrible wireless!

Reaction score
I know there are a million posts about wireless problems, but I can't find any specific to the settings on a Trendnet. We have a Trendnet 452brp wireless router, and are having spotty wireless issues. I've spent hours looking up fixes and came across things like changing the router to G only or turning off mixed mode, but I can't find those options in my Trendnet router settings.

The connection drops every few minutes, but is never indicated by the airport status on my menu bar, so I never know I've lost it until I try to load a page. The only fix thus far has been to turn the airport on and then off, and everything is fine for a few minutes. When I alt+click my Airport, I see the transmit rate drop to 0 every few clicks. I've run the ping command in Terminal, and the rates are incredibly inconsistent, jumping from ~3ms to ~70ms up to ~2000ms.

Using iStumbler, it's apparent there are a lot of other networks around us, and I've tried to switch our router to a less-used channel, though it's pretty much impossible to avoid overlap in our situation. I've updated the firmware, we're using WPA, I've restarted all the devices, unplugged the microwave... I have no idea what else to do.

My signal usually hovers around 40%-50%, which I know isn't great to begin with, but my roommates who are much closer to the router also get disconnected every few minutes. There are a bunch of settings in the Trendnet router like 11g mode only, Super G mode, etc that I'm not sure are relevant or not, so if anyone could shed some light on those, that would be helpful.

This is all really frustrating, and any help would be much appreciated. I'm on a Macbook, as are the other users on the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Why not all chip in and buy an Airport Express to provide your wireless requirements - the latest ones do 802.11n and are easy to set up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have read a few Trendnet router reviews various places and I did notice a lot of users were having WiFi issues, weak signal and a lot of disconnects.

Sorry to not offer much real help, but that is what I can remember about the brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.