4.0 Update backing up taking FOREVER!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
Well I am updating to 4.0 on my 3g and it has been connected for about 35 minutes, and is still only about 1/8 of the way "backing up". I read on another forum that this has been one of the issues, does anybody have any fixes or do I just wait it out. I don't want to unplug and restart itunes if it is just going to be the same amount of time, plus a waste of this 35 minutes. Thanks for the help in advance!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well after 40 minutes it jumped to about 95% complete!!!! Awesome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The update took 2 - 3 hours all told.

Now everything takes hours! It is a disaster on the iPhone3G.

It required 3 attempts to get into Settings, crashing out each time. Some apps no longer load. It takes almost 2 minutes for iTunes to recognize and connect when I attach the iPhone.

Folders work - but what is the point is everything is so slow and most of it doesn't load at all?

Suddenly, the HTC Desire is looking very desirable, even if is doesn't sync with the Mac and doesn't load all the DRM music I have in iTunes. At least it would be a working phone.

Apple, you need to issue a fix for this and quickly. :(

Maybe this is an initial bug, but first impressions are the most important and my first impression of this is not good.

Now trying another sync, separate from the upgrade one. Maybe this will fix things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB of RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.2| iPhone 4 32GB Black.
i dont know what you guys are talking about! it took me only 25 minutes on my macbook pro!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
My update took about 30 mins and so far things seem good.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am on a HP desktop, so maybe my MBP would have been the better choice, I'm still updating right now, at the restoring music and videos point. The funny thing is all the additions that this update has i had on the phone when it was jailbroken, but it will be nice to just have them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The sync has taken 45 minutes so far and still going.

Are you guys also using an iPhone3G ? :(

Reaction score
Same problem

I set my 3G to update last night while I was sleeping and, 6 hours later, it had not progressed any further than it did during the first 40 minutes. The backup status bar was holding steady underneath the "a" in Backing and was not moving.

Any advice?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My 3G took less than 30 minutes for the download but the backup and restore of my Apps and Music is what dragged on for maybe another 30 minutes. Once all that was done though it's quite fast.

To the user with the slow 3g, did you let it all finish or give up and yank out the plug?

I waited and my 3G works fine. Just took a while after the initial install for the backup and reinstall of stuff.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The download took about 15 mins for me..the backup took nearly 45 mins..and it was stuck in the early part for a long time and I was worried that it was busted, but it quickly progressed through the rest.

It then took another 45 mins to update and restore. It then took another 30 odd minutes to restore the backup and then another 30 mins to put all the apps (165), and music back on.

All said and done the whole process was easily in the 2-3 hours range..after it finished everything my iPhone 3G was VERY slow..nothing would work properly. I then powered it off and turned it back on and then it behaved like normal..

Haven't had a chance to really play with it much more than creating a couple of simple folders..will probably use iTunes to group the apps, doing it on the phone is going to be annoying..

The iPhone 3GS is faster than the 3G and iOS 4 was more meant for that and the iPhone 4..so you'd expect better performance/outcome for those..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I waited until it had completely finished before disconnecting.

The mail is good and the folders have reduced the number of screens (or will once I tidy up), but loading an app still takes a lot longer than before the update. Less apps are crashing today.

Maybe it takes time to settle down - although that seems unlikely with a computer device. On the whole I still wish I had not updated it. :(

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here :) I am having trouble downloading the new 4.0 on my 3G model. The software downloaded within 30 min, but when it got to the back up part, it is barely moving and I've had this phone hooked up for over 4 hours now. Should I start over? I'm thinking I may have to do this overnight. I don't know why the back up is taking so long. I have a MacBook Pro that is only 6 months old, and I update my phone pretty regularly.:Angry:

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
If you have a lot of media (pix,toons,vids) on your iphone it will take an extremely long time to back up whether it is a 3G,3Gs, or 4. It took my phone hours to back up, upgrade, and restore (not sure how long exactly I walked away)

Just wait it out once you've started, no matter how long it takes. I assumed itunes froze but decided to walk away and leave it, glad I did now I can have all of my stuff in poorly labeled folders just like on my computers!

Reaction score
Same here, I started the update 3 hours ago.

2m81d38.jpg

That's how far it's got.

I'm updating my phone on an iMac, which is my normal update/home computer for my phone.

Should I just start over?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From what I am told the more you have on the phone the longer it will take. One friends took over 3 hours but his other iPhone more like mine. Also after the whole update process be prepared for some real slowness for a bit. I found it's optimizing pictures and other things. Once that is done mine is about as fast as it ever was. 3G 16GB BTW.

I would start over and let it do it's thing. Walk away. It might look like it's locked but from everyone I have talked too who waited, it finished and worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
My 3GS update took a couple hours. The backup took forever, as did the restore. I also noticed that the progress bars didn't move smoothly. They seemed stuck with no progress for an hour and then jumped way ahead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.