Mac not recognizing printer

Reaction score
Hello everyone..I am needing some help with my grandparents new desk top mac. They had someone come out and hook it up on Friday and all was fine but we had a storm and now the printer will not recognize her computer..It is an epson printer and is hooked up with wireless.. I have went though the steps in the printer book to make sure it is connected and the test page printed out and said link was connected..And when you go to print it does show the printer that she has but it will not print ? She has called the people back out but like always you have to wait a few days and she is getting really irritated that she just bought this and can not use it..any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated..thanks Amber

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
How close is the printer to the machine? It may be easier to just add a cable and join them by wire. A USB cable for sure would work I would bet. I have no experience in wireless printers as all my printers are hard wired to a home network.

Reaction score
This is why all this wireless stuff is not such a hot idea. All my printers are on a wired network as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
This is why all this wireless stuff is not such a hot idea. All my printers are on a wired network as well.

That's real constructive. Just because you don't understand wireless and how to set it up correctly doesn't mean it "is not such a hot idea". Wireless printing is actually a GREAT idea for certain needs and applications.

Open Sharing under System Preferences and make sure the Printer Sharing box is checked. Then, click the Show All button at the top of that pane and open Print & Fax. Check the "Share this printer on the network" box. Make sure the printer appears in the left pane with a green "indicator" and that the status of the printer is "idle". Try to print. If that works, WONDERFUL. If not, post again and we'll try something else.

Reaction score
Open Sharing under System Preferences and make sure the Printer Sharing box is checked. Then, click the Show All button at the top of that pane and open Print & Fax. Check the "Share this printer on the network" box. Make sure the printer appears in the left pane with a green "indicator" and that the status of the printer is "idle". Try to print. If that works, WONDERFUL. If not, post again and we'll try something else.

REALLY helpful, thanks.

My OS is 10.3.9 . Is it too old to use this method? I cannot get my printer (Lexmark-wireless) to be recognized.

I am using an older Mac to get used to it before I jump to a new one. Without this site, I would already have tossed it out the window!!

Edited to add - the problem is, I get as far as clicking on "share the printer", my computer is listed at the left, but it is all gray and no live icon to click on. Is it because my OS is too old?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Which specific Lexmark is this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.