• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BP spills coffee

Reaction score
The biggest mistake BP made was trusting American engineers and workers to do the job.

As usual Americans and engineering are not good friends. This would NEVER have happened anywhere else in the World as the ROW come use the British directive when it comes to O&G saftey and working condition, the USA’a are still in the 70’s.

The BOP is Camerons.........an american company
Halliburton were the cement team.........american

The Rig is Swiss

The Personel, who are the real problem here are American working to american standards.

All 100% true

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You do know that the machine that you're using (and on a forum for) was engineered by an American company right? I don't think it's fair to generalize a nation's engineering body because of one incident.

Reaction score
You do know that the machine that you're using (and on a forum for) was engineered by an American company right? I don't think it's fair to generalize a nation's engineering body because of one incident.

american in general are poor engineers, look at their cars for example

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Guess we won't mention it was corporate greed at BP that made the call to overlook using known defective equipment... :p

Reaction score
Guess we won't mention it was corporate greed at BP that made the call to overlook using known defective equipment... :p

Because they coudld in AMERICA. No where else in the WORLD would they have been able to do that. BTW those decisions were made by BP AMERICA not the UK based part of the company.

Remember we had the piper alpha disaster in the north sea when san American balls up killed all those people. From that day on the UK O&G safety has been tight as a ducks backside.

I have sub contracted for BP a few times and hate working with them because they are so tight with everything, it’s PERMIT PERMIT PERMIT and people get put off the job all the time for breaking rules or trying to cut corners.

Unfortunately the US does not come anywhere close to our standards which are used globally.

I have worked in the USA for the record.

Don’t get me wrong the way that BP have handled the PR after it is awful but they have repeatedly said they will pay out everything that is required.

When the decision was made to go deep everyone in O&G knew a disaster like this would happened and this is honestly just seen as teething problems by those of us in O&G. I know that is an awful thing to say especially if you live in the GOM.

As i say, American safety standards allowed this to happen, not BP’s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Assembled in a Chinese factory with Chinese parts. O:)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
american in general are poor engineers, look at their cars for example
Do you have evidence for this claim? How can you explain this recall of 410,000 Hondas (April 2010) or this recall by Toyota (May 2010)? Let's not forget Toyota's major accelerator problem.

I am by no means claiming that the US is leagues ahead of any nation in terms of engineering quality (I won't make that claim about any one country because I will not generalize a country's engineering abilities) but I will state that American engineers are by no means terrible compared to engineers of other industrialized nations. They wouldn't be home to most of the largest corporations that depend on engineering if they were.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i was just sharing something i thought was funny (even though i don't find the real thing very amusing..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because they coudld in AMERICA. No where else in the WORLD would they have been able to do that. BTW those decisions were made by BP AMERICA not the UK based part of the company.

Remember we had the piper alpha disaster in the north sea when san American balls up killed all those people. From that day on the UK O&G safety has been tight as a ducks backside.

I have sub contracted for BP a few times and hate working with them because they are so tight with everything, it’s PERMIT PERMIT PERMIT and people get put off the job all the time for breaking rules or trying to cut corners.

Unfortunately the US does not come anywhere close to our standards which are used globally.

I have worked in the USA for the record.

Don’t get me wrong the way that BP have handled the PR after it is awful but they have repeatedly said they will pay out everything that is required.

When the decision was made to go deep everyone in O&G knew a disaster like this would happened and this is honestly just seen as teething problems by those of us in O&G. I know that is an awful thing to say especially if you live in the GOM.

I guess we pay a price for living in the greatest nation in the world. I'm really glad I don't live under the rule of a dictator that'll have his secret police rip out my tongue and cut off my balls for having an opinion that differs from his own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Do you have evidence for this claim? How can you explain this recall of 410,000 Hondas (April 2010) or this recall by Toyota (May 2010)? Let's not forget Toyota's major accelerator problem.

I am by no means claiming that the US is leagues ahead of any nation in terms of engineering quality (I won't make that claim about any one country because I will not generalize a country's engineering abilities) but I will state that American engineers are by no means terrible compared to engineers of other industrialized nations. They wouldn't be home to most of the largest corporations that depend on engineering if they were.

Chinese drywall engineers and manufactures?

Reaction score

I am by no means claiming that the US is leagues ahead of any nation in terms of engineering quality (I won't make that claim about any one country because I will not generalize a country's engineering abilities) but I will state that American engineers are by no means terrible compared to engineers of other industrialized nations.

Do you know what the actual problem was?

Also the fact that Toyota knocked Ford off the top of the mantle to be the Worlds biggest car maker had a lot to do with it. The main problem was the accelerator catching on the carpet when you lifted your foot off the accelerator! Which can happen in any car.

It was major paranoia by drivers, which i don’t blame them for, and a big % of them will have been fraudulent in the hope that they got a new car or major refit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

We'll know the answer to that when the investigation is done.

If BP is criminally charged, then we know that they didn't adhere to safety standards and were negliget.

If they're just civilly charged, then they were just negligent.

If they're not charged at all, then your statement is true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
And what about the BBC? Most shows that come from the Britland, with the exception of Top Gear suck big fat Linux Distros. I mean, they butchered Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Even PBS could have done a better job with that.

Reaction score
We'll know the answer to that when the investigation is done.

If BP is criminally charged, then we know that they didn't adhere to safety standards and were negliget.

If they're just civilly charged, then they were just negligent.

If they're not charged at all, then your statement is true.

No one will go to jail unfortunately
BP will not go bankrupt
As i say, it was an American balls up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you know what the actual problem was?

Also the fact that Toyota knocked Ford off the top of the mantle to be the Worlds biggest car maker had a lot to do with it. The main problem was the accelerator catching on the carpet when you lifted your foot off the accelerator! Which can happen in any car.

It was major paranoia by drivers, which i don’t blame them for, and a big % of them will have been fraudulent in the hope that they got a new car or major refit.

You do know that Ford was never on top so Toyota didn't knock them off of anywhere.

I believe the top 3 were always Volkswagen, GM, and Toyota.

The main problem was the accelerator catching on the carpet when you lifted your foot off the accelerator! Which can happen in any car.

If that were true, then why wasn't it happening to anyone else?

But beyond that point, given the inaccuracies in your posts and the completely inflamatory tone of what you're choosing to post, I'm beginning to think you're just trolling.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assembled in a Chinese factory with Chinese parts. O:)
True but it wasn't engineered in China. I'm referring to engineering ability, not assembly.

Again, evidence? I'm sure if I wanted, I could find proof demonstrating that the safety standards in the US are well ahead of many other nations.

I guess we pay a price for living in the greatest nation in the world.
You live in Canada?

Reaction score
Again, evidence? I'm sure if I wanted, I could find proof demonstrating that

Yes my own personal experience of working for engineering companies in the USA including Disney and Universal in Orlando and two companies in New York. I work all over the World so i am in a position to comment on this. Currently i am off work but normally i am in the Gulf and they are as tight as heck with rules too.

Don’t get me wrong i am far from anti American, i love my time there and the people. I am just fed up reading the lies about this awful spill. I have said already but it’s all down to American working practises

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In case no one has noticed...this thread is just turning into one big flame war!:(

IMHO not really much to be gained...even if it is in the Anything Goes section.

- Nick

Reaction score
In case no one has noticed...this thread is just turning into one big flame war!:(

IMHO not really much to be gained...even if it is in the Anything Goes section.

- Nick

Yeah i’ll step out now. I’ve made my point and enjoy my time on here even though 99% of the computer chat goes over my head :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.