• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

BP spills coffee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In case no one has noticed...this thread is just turning into one big flame war!:(

IMHO not really much to be gained...even if it is in the Anything Goes section.

- Nick

That's up for interpretation.

I normally won't close a thread for flaming until I start seeing ad hominem attacks and that really hasn't occurred yet. I like to err on the side of allowing the conversation until I absolutely have to close it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes my own personal experience of working for engineering companies in the USA including Disney and Universal in Orlando and two companies in New York.
That is hardly comprehensive enough to essentialize the engineering practice of an entire nation.

Don’t get me wrong i am far from anti American, i love my time there and the people. I am just fed up reading the lies about this awful spill.
That is by no means unique to the United States. Every time there is a disaster, people try to either cover the truth or deflect the blame to someone else. Each of those either involve lying or will ultimately be construed that way.

OP
roeiboot
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
on a slightly related note, i'm listening to 'Smell of Petroleum' by The Pogues :}

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Flush the toilet back to Thailand the land of the free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is all because our "fearful leader" didn't know that "BP" no longer stands for "British Petroleum".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
"pops in for a funny video*

woah!

*runs out and slams the door*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The fact is, BP hired the rig workers and contracting firms, and BP assumed liability for their work. That means that, no matter what the nationality of the person who actually screwed up, it was BP's fault.

...BP" no longer stands for "British Petroleum".
I'm sick of hearing how it's not politically correct to say that BP stands for British Petroleum for fear of offending the British. Sorry, but they're still a British-headquartered firm and they're still in the Petroleum business.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
True but it wasn't engineered in China. I'm referring to engineering ability, not assembly.

Again, evidence? I'm sure if I wanted, I could find proof demonstrating that the safety standards in the US are well ahead of many other nations.

You live in Canada?

Didn't Thomas Jefferson (or some other great American, American) once say, that "To conquer Canada it would be one long lonely(boring) walk"?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Didn't Thomas Jefferson (or some other great American, American) once say, that "To conquer Canada it would be one long lonely(boring) walk"?
So the ability to conquer another nation defines greatness? Well, me and you have very different conceptions of greatness then ;). I think it's fair to say that greatness in any domain can not, nor should it be, predicated on the ability to dominate in terms of aggression. I can think of many examples of nations whose ability to physically or politically dominate led to their downfall.

Wow, this thread has gone in many different directions and has remained, surprisingly, very civil.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
The biggest mistake BP made was trusting American engineers and workers to do the job.

As usual Americans and engineering are not good friends. This would NEVER have happened anywhere else in the World as the ROW come use the British directive when it comes to O&G saftey and working condition, the USA’a are still in the 70’s.

The BOP is Camerons.........an american company
Halliburton were the cement team.........american

The Rig is Swiss

The Personel, who are the real problem here are American working to american standards.

All 100% true

Tell that to Neil Armstrong.....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
So the ability to conquer another nation defines greatness?
No, that's not what he said at all. He said that Canada was large and fairly dull.

(Not personally agreeing with that, by the way.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know about Ottawa (where Vansmith is located)...but I've been to Toronto (many times) and Montreal (a couple times)...and both are AWESOME cities!:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, that's not what he said at all. He said that Canada was large and fairly dull.

(Not personally agreeing with that, by the way.)
It could also be construed as a comment on the apparent lack of military presence in Canada (hence the boredom). The fact that the quote begins with a reference to military conquest is reason enough to consider an argument that centres on refuting the importance of military might. Regardless of the intent, a common element is, as you mentioned, the lack of "excitement".

Anyway, to get back on topic and in an attempt to try and prevent this from going down hill on my part, I think it's worth noting that incompetence and a lack of concern for safety transcends national association. Regardless of where a company is from, odds are that it will at some point partake in questionable practices.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyway, to get back on topic and in an attempt to try and prevent this from going down hill on my part, I think it's worth noting that incompetence and a lack of concern for safety transcends national association. Regardless of where a company is from, odds are that it will at some point partake in questionable practices.

Well said Vansmith...and certainly true. Anyone that believes or thinks that they are part of some sort of "Master Race" or country where everyone & everything is perfect...is only fooling themselves.

History provides us with way too many examples proving this!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
um....Mac-Forums members are the master race...duh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
It could also be construed as a comment on the apparent lack of military presence in Canada (hence the boredom). The fact that the quote begins with a reference to military conquest is reason enough to consider an argument that centres on refuting the importance of military might. Regardless of the intent, a common element is, as you mentioned, the lack of "excitement".

There is no military because nothing ever happens. Kind of reminds me of Paw Paw.

Paw Paw, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro(2009), iPhone 3G and Home Build PC's

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no military because nothing ever happens.
Keeping Canada in Afghanistan - TIME
Juno Beach Centre - "Over a million men and women joined the Canadian Armed Forces during World War II"
The History of Canada and Canadians Canada and World War 1 - "Before the war ended in 1918, more than 619,000 officers and men had enlisted, including some 22,000 who had served in the British Royal Air Force. More than 60,000 Canadians were killed in action or died of wounds, a terribly heavy toll in relation to the country's population."

Shall I continue? Just because the military doesn't play as large a role in political discourse doesn't mean we don't have one. On top of that, just because we don't enter into armed conflict as much doesn't we don't have one. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.