Newby Question-Closing Applications

Reaction score
I just switched to a mac several weeks ago, so I'm still learning. Here;s my simple question. If I have an application open, let's say Firefox, and I mistakenly use the red button in upper left to close it and I really didn't want to close it, can I get that application back without closing the application & starting over?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Absolutely. Simply click the icon in the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I just switched to a mac several weeks ago, so I'm still learning. Here;s my simple question. If I have an application open, let's say Firefox, and I mistakenly use the red button in upper left to close it and I really didn't want to close it, can I get that application back without closing the application & starting over?

You don't close applications; you close windows. You quit applications when you are done with them.

In Firefox, if you close a window and then change your mind, you can re-open the window by choosing History > Recently closed windows > and then selecting the window from the list.

If you just want a new, blank document in any application, you can choose File > New or press command-N.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.