AC Adapter piece and authorized dealer selling smuggled hardware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
I needed a new adapter for my mac book. So I went to the Authorized Apple store here in Thailand (a far cry from the Apple stores in US) and bought one but the plug is not for Thailand. I bought my mac in Thailand.

So I call him up and he said buy an adapter for $1 and sorry but this is the plug they have in Malaysia!! So obviously (?) this has been smuggled in from Malaysia

1. The Apple store does not ship to Thailand nor have just the little piece I need
2. How do I report this instance to apple and also request the piece?

No it is not an option to take it back. Luckily I still had my extension but now can not use it without the extension.
and impossible to take it back. Return policies are not so liberal in this 3rd world country.

Thank yo.

apple04.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why would it be smuggled in from Malaysia? Apple computers are made and assembled in China - and most other electronic equipment is made and assembled throughout Asia including Malaysia.

Anyway, since it's only an AC plug adapter which enables use for the 220-240 V Thai mains, I don't see what the problem is?

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
it came with the UK /Malaysia plug... where in Thailand we use US/ or EU.
Why is the authorized dealer in thailand selling the wrong hardware? I dont want to go out and buy the adapter.

Considering I also payed about $35 more then the US price... as is with most things apple here.. yes even though the journey from the China is shorter. ( charges alone on regular packages get charged 30% tax on the shipping price.. and the value of goods).

uk.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, I understand what you're referring to now. I remember from experience when working in Bangkok we plugged in a large fan from Japan (same type plug) and it burned out in 5 minutes.

I can't tell you why the dealer in Thailand is selling the wrong hardware and I doubt there is really anyone you can complain to except the dealer himself.

When you need specialized parts it may be best to direct order from the US and have them shipped to you via Air. I know that might be expensive, but at least you'll be assured of getting the correct items.

Regards.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Thanks but Apple wont ship to us here in Thailand.. so we are at the merci of the "authorized dealers" :( and far away from a genius bar! There are some knock offs from HK on Ebay but those can be scarry...

All i need is that small part now... is there no general contact email for apple? Sneaky of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Try shopping via Singapore. I know from the experience of a Mac friend that Apple supplies from there are usually reliable - and kosher.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks but Apple wont ship to us here in Thailand.. so we are at the merci of the "authorized dealers" and far away from a genius bar! There are some knock offs from HK on Ebay but those can be scarry...

You don't have to order direct from Apple, I was referring to ordering from an authorized Mac parts dealer in the US. I know from others that frequent this forum that several of those parts dealers will ship outside of the US.

Give these guys a try: OWC Send them an email and ask.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Definitely OWC - I've had Mac components shipped to me way down here in lil' ol' NZ. Very good service. Of course it cost me, and took two weeks, but they arrived safely.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.