3G off, Wi-Fi on? [iPhone4]

Reaction score
I'm buying my first iPhone [4!] and only getting 1GB of data per month. Philadelphia does have free wifi and so do many houses around me, so I was wondering, when I'm walking to my friend's house with my future iPhone, will it automatically turn off 3G and use their Wi-Fi network to browse and download?

Reaction score
Wi-Fi takes over 3G when it's connected, so when it does connect, your data plan doesn't get used up

I don't think the iPhone will connect automatically to Wi-Fi networks (even if unsecure/free ones), you'll have to manually connect it i think

but once Wi-Fi is on, you're not using your data plan :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you aren't connected to a WiFi network and one is available, you'll be prompted to connect to it..do so and then all of your data will go over the WiFi..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can also manually disable any 3G data so you can control when your iPhone is using cellular data.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
No..I'm assuming Kash means that you can put it into Airplane mode which will disable 3G, but that disables ALL things associated with 3G..phone calls, texts and data access..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope, I mean turn off 3G data. I believe the feature was implemented with the 4.0 update.

Go to Settings --> General --> Network and untick the "Cellular Data" option.

If you turn this option off, you will still get your calls and I'm pretty sure you'll still get text messages.

Reaction score
When the iphone turns of the screen, does the wifi turn off as well?

I'm asking this because if the wifi goes off after the screens goes off, will the phone use the 3g then?

I've seen the 3g icon apear for a sec after I unlock the phone and then the wifi icon replaces it.

Reaction score
Nope, I mean turn off 3G data. I believe the feature was implemented with the 4.0 update.

Go to Settings --> General --> Network and untick the "Cellular Data" option.

If you turn this option off, you will still get your calls and I'm pretty sure you'll still get text messages.

He's right and is not talking about airplane mode, cellular data will transfer of internet through only wi-fi. i was wondering if someone could post a simple thread though on describing how to use just wi-fi data without being worried of going over your data plan balance.

thanks, im new to the iphone 4 but not a n()()b:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.