Macbook Pro Temperature problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 2.8Ghz , 4 gb ram , nvidia 9400M
Hey guys, i've been getting mixed reactions about the load-bearing temperature of a typical macbook pro. I am running Macbook Pro 5, 3; the model that existed just before the release of the i7 processor MBPs.

I noticed that while i was playing games or something CPU intensive my computer would get very hot and often the performance would go down, even in air-conditioned environments.

Using smcFanControl i determined my usual temperature to be about 60˚ and during gameplay/CPU intensive programs, it would go up to 104˚C and settle at around 98-100˚. Please can someone shed some light on this as i have tried everything, using a cooling pad, opening the bottom to clean out the dust etc.

I confirmed the temperature to be accurate using istat nano in case some of you attributed it to smcfancontrol bugging out.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
There is a difference between "symptoms" and "problems".
I don't see the problem.
Just make sure that the air vents on your MBP are not blocked and trust the Apple engineers who designed the machine .... All will be well.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 2.8Ghz , 4 gb ram , nvidia 9400M
The problem is when the temperature goes too high, any other task becomes slow and unresponsive.

Reaction score
Same issue

My macbook gets extremely hot no matter what I'm doing on it. So hot that I have been burnt. The white box on the power cord also gets hot anytime its plugged in. I have to unplug it and leave it for a while before I can pick it up sometimes. Is there something I should do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
I would like to know also if it is ok that my macbook gets up to to 63c/144f?

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4GHz, 4GB, GT 320M
I would be worried about anything over 67-70 for an extended period of time. If you're that worried about it, I would suggest using some sort of cooling pad.

For others, stating that it's running hot without providing temperatures doesn't really tell anyone anything. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
HI Thanks, I do use a cooling pad .. however I live in the tropics and I don't have air con. I have a lot of problems with my mac freezing up so wonder if this is part of it.
Since posting my mac is up to 65c/149f.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The New Macbook
Ah..thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.