The best message boards?

T

Thommy

I have a client (punk rock band) who are wanting a message board for there site, but the server they are on does not have MySql. I would've built a message board for them using phpbb - but since i don't have that option i am looking for other ways to get them a decent message board.

if you all know of anything rather cheap, free, or just have some good suggestions i'd apreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
You are looking for a flatfile text based board? You are not on a box that supports MySQL? Do you have access to any other DB's? I believe Invision supports mutiple DB types. But if you are looking for a flatfile DB, I don't thing there are too many left. A quick google came up with this : tp://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=1103&lngWId=8 (outdated link removed). I have no idea what it is, but it says it's a flat file message board?

Another thing, what hosting service are you using? If they don't provide MySQL you are not at the right place :) I provide hosting on the side. If you are interested in hearing about it, PM me. I'm sure we could strike a deal :)

OP
S

SlicerDicer

Thommy said:
I have a client (punk rock band) who are wanting a message board for there site, but the server they are on does not have MySql. I would've built a message board for them using phpbb - but since i don't have that option i am looking for other ways to get them a decent message board.

if you all know of anything rather cheap, free, or just have some good suggestions i'd apreciate it.

:( eek no DB crap buddy i dont know what to use everything i have ever used uses SQL

**** as far as that goes hate to have to give this as a idea but **** its what i did. I went to lycos.co.uk and made a account to run my phpbb boards till i got dsl that could run my site. just a thought if you dont mind ads but then again it looks like **** so may not work.

OP
T

TheMacOS.com

I like phpBB.... very powerful and easy to use... :)

I tried several and didnt like them as much.

OP
T

thePurpleGiant

I would seriously suggest getting the to change webhosts. I haven't heard of one in recent times that wont give you MySQL included. I cannot think of any forum that works without some form of database itegration I'm sorry.

OP
N

nr-media

You can use a CGI/Perl msg board. WWWBoards and WebBBS are the most popular.

OP
I

iKwak

nr-media said:
You can use a CGI/Perl msg board. WWWBoards and WebBBS are the most popular.

There should be free message boards that are hosted within their server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.