Time Capsule failures

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I've just spent some time reading the "ratings and reviews" section of the Time Capsule pages on the Apple Store site... there seems to be a preponderance of people suggesting internal HDD failures on the TC around 18 months after purchase. On 1st blush, quite a concerning trend, sufficiently cause enough to come here and investigate the issue further...

A search here doesn't seem to support the evidence "apparent" on Apple's own site! One wonders whether perhaps one or two disgruntled persons have/are making an effort to discredit the device...

I wonder would people mind posting their own experiences with the Time Capsule to allow me to formulate a reasonably informed opinion?

cheers!

RS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I had a power supply failure on the first gen. 500 GB Time Capsule exactly 18 months after I bought it.
Was replaced for free and is running a lot cooler compared to the original one.
I paid 60 EURO to remove the hard disk from the failing TC as I did not want to disclose my information inside the backups.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I had a power supply failure on the first gen 1TB pretty much 18 months as well. It was in an open room with a laptop chill pad underneath it. It still overheated.

Wasn't replaced for free - but I dis-assembled the old time capsule, pulled the hard drive, put it in a drive cage and bought a new time capsule. Too soon to tell but my new Time Capsule has been running for 4 months with the same setup - in an open room with a chill pad underneath. The old drive is in a drive cage with a fan for cooling too.

Lesson learned: Backup the backup.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That 18 month thing was related to the first gen TC. Would believe that has been solved as I have not seen that discussion ongoing since that time related to the newer TCs.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones... my first gen 1TB TC is still going strong now and it's over 2 years old.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
OK guys, thanks for that.

So the NextGen ;D TC would be considered a pretty solid & reliable device?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Absolutely .... , as I said, the new gen. runs much cooler so that problem should have been solved.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.