Changing finder sidebar icons, also changes /users/ folders icons - help!

Reaction score
Changing finder sidebar icons, also changes /users/ folder icons - help!

When I try to change the default icons (i.e Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc) in the finder sidebar, it will change the folder icons on /Users/ simultaneously exactly with the same icon.
I've try to restore sidebar icons with candybar and litelicon, repaired all the permissions, verified the disk on disk utility and it was ok, also deleted com.apple.finder.plist, but still the same annoying problem persists.
here's how it looks
Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 9.32.30 AM.png

This issue is only when I try to change the Desktop, Documents and Downloads icons, the rest of all the icons as library, music, pictures etc all seem ok.
Is there any way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Screen shot 2010-06-21 at 1.05.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Not sure what u are trying to do but you do realise that everything in your home folder - 'J' is shown in 2 places - see Applications as marked - just as Home Folder [House icon] is shown twice in your screen shot;

Click for full size

OP
A
Reaction score
exactly what I've mention before….as soon as I change an icon on finder sidebar it changes simultaneously exactly the same icon on /Users/ replacing the folder icon…any help fixing it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
when you use CandyBar, some times it needs a system reboot or log out then back in and then to open THE particular Application for the icons to change back ?? Have you done either of those ??

OP
A
Reaction score
I rebooted quite a few times trying to change the sidebar icons with Candybar and Litelicon and no changing at all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Why, why, why do people mess with icons??? Use the default icons. They just work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Im trying to set up the default sidebar icons on finder and no lucky changing it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Delete com.apple.finder.plist and Restart. That will do it.

Find it in ~/Library/Preferences

OP
A
Reaction score
I mentioned before that I deleted com.apple.finder.plist and is still the same, if I change the icons on the finder sidebar, the icon folders on /users/ will change too with the same identical icon…
What's really annoying is that I repaired permissions, checked the disk and it was ok…also tried to change the sidebar with Candybar and Litelicon, rebooting and nothing happens at all…It's the 1st time that I'm having system issues like this.

Edit:
I did some googling and try to get a fix on this issue and find one:

On terminal I entered this for each sidebar icon missing, i.e for Downloads icon

rm -r "Downloads"
mkdir "Downloads"

Now 4 of the icons are restored in the sidebar (Screen shot 1), and the same folders on/Users/ but I still can't restore the Applications icon.
When I try to make changes, it still replaces system Applications folder simultaneously with the same icon of the sidebar. (Screen shot 2)
Any idea how to fix it?
Is there a way of deleting the system Applications folder or replace it with a new one…?

Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 2.40.30 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-06-22 at 2.58.15 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uninstall Candybar and Litelicon and then dump the plist file.

OP
A
Reaction score
I've tried that and still not fixing it

Edit:

I repaired all permissions and the disk with the OSX Snow Leopard DVD (all ok, like before) and still the same problem… :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You probably need to use the Terminal command to reset the Dock. It's something like "Kill all dock" but you have to have it exactly right, and I don't know what that is, exactly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Try and copy the Applications folder icon from your OSX disc. Click "Info" on your Application folder on the HD and paste it to top left icon on the "Info" view.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.