installing os X panther PROBLEMS

Reaction score
I've been trying to install os X panther on my ibook G3. It installed great the first time until it decided not to boot when I connected it to an ethernet cable connected to the internet. I screen came up asking me for root username and pass and for some reason my pass or username didn't work so I started to reinstall it and the first part worked great. Then it restarted and went to installing the software. or rather it didn't. The software installation window comes up and nothing happens. It doesn't prompt me to insert disc too, nothing...

I really hope someone can help me I've been working on getting this laptop running for days now and I'm getting a little aggravated.

thanks XAN

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Try popping the install disk in once u have powered on and hold the C key until it boots and once past the language choice then select Disk Utility from drop down menu and Erase the drive and then go on and complete the install.

OP
X
Reaction score
Thank you

that worked.

I have another problem though. It starts to install the software okay with disc 2 for a while then it says it had a problem and tells me to quit. When I hit quit the system boots up regularly as far as I know.

This happened the first time, could this have caused the problem in the first place. Can I finish downloading the software manually?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Another test if you have the time is to customize the install and opt out of all the extra Languages and Printers then you may not even need the second disk.
Connect to the internet and download this and install that, then run software update until there are none left to install- this for Tiger but Panther similar;

Click for full size

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.