Time Capsule differences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I was looking at the Time Capsules in the Apple outlet and they have current and previous generation models offered. I cannot seem to find any difference between the two, with the exception of the previous model listing only Leopard compatibility and the current lists Leopard and Snow Leopard. Is there anything more I am missing?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I got my current generation 2TB Time capsule a couple months ago and was also wondering the samething. So i spoke with a couple apple techs and found out...

The only difference is better signal strength. They added another antenna and i believe something with the layout that also improved the signal.

The model SKU is MC344LL/A, that's for the current 2TB Time Capsule.
I found mine on eBay for under 400.00 shipped. I just checked and there weren't any at a decent price. I guess i got lucky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
John - Only the latest models have Dual Antenna and can run a 802.11g and 802.11n networks simultaneously or a Guest Network instead of Dual Networks, but both models are OK on 10.5 and 10.6.

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Great, thanks for the insight guys. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
John - Only the latest models have Dual Antenna and can run a 802.11g and 802.11n networks simultaneously or a Guest Network instead of Dual Networks, but both models are OK on 10.5 and 10.6.

Actually, your incorrect. The "Previous" 3rd generation Time Capsule had simultaneous dual-band wifi, just like the current 4th generation.

The 1st and 2nd generation did not have "simultaneous dual-band".

Refurbished previous generation: Refurbished Time Capsule - 2 TB (previous generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Current generation: Time Capsule - 2TB - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
JohnCL
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
For the minimal cost difference I will just go with the current generation. I guess I was not aware that there were 4 revisions of this product. If the latest model offers better signal strength that is a winner for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.