Connection to home wifi network problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 2GB 160GB OSX
Hi,
Around a year ago I upgraded to snow leopard on my 2007 macbook pro and immediately was unable to connect to my home wifi network where before I had not had any problems. After typing in the password it simply says 'connection timed out'

I removed the password on the network and was then able to connect to the network most of the time (although much less reliably than I could before I upgraded - post-upgrade it would flash the airport icon with an exclamation mark and not always connect when there network was on - where before it was 100% consistent).

Having decided that it is necessary to password the network, my laptop again will not connect to the password protected home wifi network. It has also had problems with my university's vpn (ie it will not work).

I use a d link DSL G604T router at home, although all the other laptops in the house work with the router (and password protection) so it would appear to be a problem with my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try going into Sys Prefs/Network/Airport and make sure your home network is at the top and remove any non active networks.

Click for full size

Setting up a Location may also help - see here.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz 2GB 160GB OSX
Thanks for the support but sadly appears not to have had any effect. Are there any other possibilities?
W

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
If u are using WEP then try changing to the more robust WPA/WPA2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.