iOS4 vs iPhone3G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So:

No multitasking
No Bluetooth keyboard support
No custom Homepage wallpaper

What is left? Is it worth the upgrade to iOS4 on my iPhone3G?

Folders

Anything else?

I realise that those of you who only have to find $199 for an iPhone4 do not have to consider this question - just whether or not you want to sign up with AT&T. However, those of us required to pay £499 and who already have an iPhone3G do have to think long and hard about it.

Is it worth the extra cost? After all, nobody is going to buy a secondhand iPhone3G now are they? :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It seems if I commit to a 24 or 18 month contract with Orange, the actual iPhone will be cheaper.

Of course, once you add in the cost of the monthly payments......... :(

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In the same boat as you..but I think if they were to enable all of the iOS 4 features on the 3G..the performance would be unacceptable and we'd all be complaining abou that..

Rather than that, it's better (maybe) to get few of the features that work on the 3G than nothing at all I suppose..

I'm eligible for the upgrade, but don't want to re-up my contract with AT&T yet..and you are right, no one is going to want a used 3G now..at least folks with the 3GS still have something to sell.

Even though it's getting very close to the iPhone 4 release time..if you DID want to get he iPhone 4, you might want to look to sell your iPhone 3G right now..you'll most likely get more for it now than when the iPhone 4 comes out and people start dumping their 3GS very quickly..

I might end up upgrading to the iPhone 4 and then use the 3G as my developer phone..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Don't forget about the unified inbox and a few performance enhancements. It doesn't cost anything to upgrade, so why not?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ability to talk to multiple exchange servers doesn't hurt either..and yeah it's free, so I'll do it..at least just for the folders feature since I end up with too many pages of apps..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
no one is going to want a used 3G now..

I beg to differ! Look at ebay prices. They are going for right around $200! Somebody clearly wants them!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget about the unified inbox and a few performance enhancements. It doesn't cost anything to upgrade, so why not?

These are good points.

The Inbox improvement will be good and of course, it costs nothing to try it, assuming it doesn't break anything. I presume it will not be possible to revert back afterwards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm running iOS4 on a 3G (not 3GS) right now. The performance is good with some things - Safari is much faster. Other items, like iCal, are much slower than iOS3. The unified Inbox is very nice, and grouping apps into bundles is nice as well. It makes the 3G a much nicer phone, but overall, I would personally suggest that performance has suffered. I'll add that many of my apps crash immediately upon launch after iOS4, so there will be some time needed for developers to catch up. Overall, I'm happy with my 3G and iOS4. I'll be even happier with it when I hand it over to my wife on Friday after my iPhone 4 arrives. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i used iOS4 on a 3g with ALL the features enabled and even though the multitasking works, it did not seem to be real multitasking, ie. if i had Tweetie open already and opened it from the multitask bar it would still sit there and load the tweets. with the colored icons i'm not too into changing the background on the Springboard... folders are really neat. although i upgraded to a 3gs this past friday (YAY!) i would put iOS4 on a 3g if i still had it, lotsa little things are improved added and/or fixed..

just my 2cts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
i used iOS4 on a 3g with ALL the features enabled and even though the multitasking works, it did not seem to be real multitasking, ie. if i had Tweetie open already and opened it from the multitask bar it would still sit there and load the tweets. with the colored icons i'm not too into changing the background on the Springboard... folders are really neat. although i upgraded to a 3gs this past friday (YAY!) i would put iOS4 on a 3g if i still had it, lotsa little things are improved added and/or fixed..

just my 2cts.

How were you able to get all the features working on a 3G? I'm assuming it's a hack iPhone 3G?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
..........I'll be even happier with it when I hand it over to my wife on Friday after my iPhone 4 arrives. :)

I laughed out loud when I read that.

Brilliant :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
@XJ-linux: Jailbreak + adding a few lines to an plist file.. very basic.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I beg to differ! Look at ebay prices. They are going for right around $200! Somebody clearly wants them!

There will definitely be buyers..but when the iPhone 4 comes out, lot more 3GS' will show up and the price of the 3G will get far below the $200..and now that I've managed to crack the bottom of my 3G..I won't even get that much..

Even more reason to make this a guinea pig phone while I start angling for the iPhone 4..;)

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.