iMac G5 1.8GHz processor temperature?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Hi i am having a few issues with my G5 iMac, and i think maybe the excessive heat might have something to do with it. What temperature should the CPU be running at? Mine is at 67 degrees celcius. Is this bad?
Let me know
Thanks
Alex

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Oh BTW, i should let you know what i'm running at the mo:
Firefox
Entourage

Thats it.
Thanks again
Alex

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
alexmaccoll said:
Hi i am having a few issues with my G5 iMac, and i think maybe the excessive heat might have something to do with it. What temperature should the CPU be running at? Mine is at 67 degrees celcius. Is this bad?
Let me know
Thanks
Alex

That does sound a bit hot to me, where are you getting the temperature reading from?

Amen-Moses

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
At this time my IMAC G% 1.8 is running at 71.6 and being very noisy. Waiting for the crash. Don't ask what is normal because even the repair guys don't know.

pod

Reaction score
...I was up for one of these G5s... but was put off by the noise of the internal fans on the model at work. I decided to go for the G4 20" model as it runs almost silent...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alexmaccoll said:
Downloaded this program from a site.
Heres a direct link will work with any mac apparently...
http://www.download.com/Temperature-Monitor/3000-2263_4-10303659.html?tag=lst-0-2

Should i get it checked out, or is that kind of normal for an iMac G5?
Thanks
Alex

I don't know whether the values given by that are valid or not but for comparison it says my G5s are running at a die temperature of 65 and 67, the fans aren't even audible so OS X obviously doesn't think that is too hot.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
Amen-Moses said:
I don't know whether the values given by that are valid or not but for comparison it says my G5s are running at a die temperature of 65 and 67, the fans aren't even audible so OS X obviously doesn't think that is too hot.

Amen-Moses
I've downloaded the temp software and there is a window you can open that gives you the MAX CPU Temperature which is 85 c. It's a cool day today and mine is running at 64 but the fans are still running pretty loud and fast. I went to our local store yesterday and it was HOT! The 17 inch G5 they had in there was red hot to touch but the fans could not be heard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your responses guys. Mine hit 71 degrees yesterday, my imac G3 cn't even reach that!
Ah well, its still in warranty, shame apple can't work out what the fan problem is yet!
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alexmaccoll said:
Thanks for your responses guys. Mine hit 71 degrees yesterday, my imac G3 cn't even reach that!
Ah well, its still in warranty, shame apple can't work out what the fan problem is yet!
Alex

I somehow doubt your G3 even has on-die temperature sensors.

The value you are all seeing is the temperature from inside the G5 itself, known as the die temperature, that is expected to be hot just as the engine temperature of a car is expected to be hot.

Currently my G5s are at 65.3 and 66 and haven't budged from those values even though the fans cannot even be heard (well to be fair if I put my ear up against the side of the case I can just about hear them) and the air coming out of the rear of the beast only feels slightly warm.

I reckon the upper 60's figure is probably normal operating temperature and am not surprised that the fans are working overtime with the 71 figure.

If you are seeing high figures I suggest relocating the machine to see if that helps, put it nearer an open door or window and make sure it is out of direct sunlight.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I'm having a hard time believing the values given by that application.

For example if I turn off the protein folding apps on both processors it gives a value of 55-57 degrees for both processors (i.e with both virtually at idle) but if I turn on one folding process I get Processor one running at 100% and processor 2 at idle yet the temperature for both cores is given as 60-63 degrees, if I then start the second folding process such that both processors are at 100% the temperature is given as 65-68 for both processors. As they both have individual fans and sensors and as the fans stay at the same audible level throughout I'm left thinking that the values given are suspect!

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.