mac book pro disc disc usage full?????

Reaction score
I have a 4GB mac book pro...cant figure out what is causing my mac book pro disc usage to be so high....I mainly use it for music with only 8000 songs on itunes.....not able to see what is filling up my computer....can anyone please help?

C

chas_m

Okay, let's start at the beginning.

There's no such thing as a 4GB MacBook Pro. You are confusing RAM with STORAGE. They are two entirely different things.

How big is your hard drive, and how much free space is left?

"Only" 8000 songs? That's actually quite a lot. What format are they in?

You can try downloading the free Grand Perspective which should quickly show you the culprit. My guess is its your iTunes library.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
4GB of RAM would have nothing to do with the size of your hard drive and how much storage space you have.

I would suggest you grab WhatSize - a very nice app for identifying what all is taking up space on your drive and worth the price.

DiskInventoryX - a free graphical utility.

OP
N
Reaction score
Okay, let's start at the beginning.

There's no such thing as a 4GB MacBook Pro. You are confusing RAM with STORAGE. They are two entirely different things.

How big is your hard drive, and how much free space is left?

"Only" 8000 songs? That's actually quite a lot. What format are they in?

You can try downloading the free Grand Perspective which should quickly show you the culprit. My guess is its your iTunes library.

please excuse my ignorance

I have a

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

250GB 5400-rpm hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor

....if by free space you mean this

space utilized 247.86 GB

free space 1.85 GB

.....songs are mp3....mostly 320 kbps

.....you will be shocked to learn I had trouble downloading the programe you suggested...incompetence

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're asking for a hard drive crash at this point. Am "assuming" you also do not have a backup?

Not incompetence in downloading and nope, not shocked either. You don't have enough space left on your hard drive to put much of anything. While you may have over 1 GB of free space in total, it's highly unlikely that you have anything but very small bits of contiguous free space on that drive. And your system has probably been using 100% of that for virtual memory. Will be just totally amazed if you have not been experiencing the dreaded spinning beach ball for awhile while trying to use that system to do just about anything.

First thing you need to do is free up some space. You should never have less than 15% free space available on any drive or partition that has your booting operating system on it. On that system, that means at least 35-40GB free space. I keep my system drives at 25-30% free space minimum.

If you don't have a backup, as soon as you can free enough space to run a backup, I'd suggest you do it.

And if you plan on keeping that much data on your system drive, it's way past the time for you to upgrade to a larger drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
You're asking for a hard drive crash at this point. Am "assuming" you also do not have a backup?

Not incompetence in downloading and nope, not shocked either. You don't have enough space left on your hard drive to put much of anything. While you may have over 1 GB of free space in total, it's highly unlikely that you have anything but very small bits of contiguous free space on that drive. And your system has probably been using 100% of that for virtual memory. Will be just totally amazed if you have not been experiencing the dreaded spinning beach ball for awhile while trying to use that system to do just about anything.

First thing you need to do is free up some space. You should never have less than 15% free space available on any drive or partition that has your booting operating system on it. On that system, that means at least 35-40GB free space. I keep my system drives at 25-30% free space minimum.

If you don't have a backup, as soon as you can free enough space to run a backup, I'd suggest you do it.

And if you plan on keeping that much data on your system drive, it's way past the time for you to upgrade to a larger drive.

cheers...I downloaded DiskInventoryX and got rid of loads of wav files...and now my free space is 34.57....I will move stuff to an external hard drive asap..thanks for all the help....you wont hear another word out of meO:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
8000 songs is a lot songs and if you didn't turn off the duplicate option in iTunes it means you have twice as many songs. In iTunes go to your preferences in the menu and in the advanced tab uncheck copy files if you don't want duplicates of your songs.

OP
N
Reaction score
8000 songs is a lot songs and if you didn't turn off the duplicate option in iTunes it means you have twice as many songs. In iTunes go to your preferences in the menu and in the advanced tab uncheck copy files if you don't want duplicates of your songs.

done.....I get the feeling i,m using about 0.00000001% of this computers ability

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Since it was checked then you should see if you already have duplicates on your computer. You should unless you actually put all your music into iTunes' default folder which is the Music folder in your user account name folder. Make sure you have a backup of your songs before deleting anything. I keep all my songs in my own folder so if you do the same then look in the Music folder for duplicates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.