Reasonably priced headphones?

C

chas_m

Hi all!

I'm looking for a pair of good-quality but relatively inexpensive headphones for my Mac. They can be earbud or pad style, but I'm trying to keep it under $100.

I'm not a snooty audiophile or big-time music producer -- just someone who wants to feel like I'm getting the full fidelity of my iTunes music (the Apple/iPod headphones aren't bad for walking around/outdoor stuff, but I'm talking about more serious listening) for not too much money. I welcome suggestions.

PS. Before anyone makes the suggestion, I'm not going to buy any product endorsed by, or carrying the name of, a rap/hip-hop artist. I like bass, but I'm looking for true fidelity, not overcompensating thud-osity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Mate Skull Candy are a good brand with earbud/or pad style with good prices.
This is there site Home Page but there actual online shop is down at the moment for maintenance, but if you google them with Amazon you can see what is in the store ...
Highly recommend them to anyone.
I bought a decent pair $20 short of $100 and i could keep them in ear for 5-6 straight without discomfort and actually forgetting there in there. Noise reduction and all that good stuff ....

Worth a looksee anyway :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
PS. Before anyone makes the suggestion, I'm not going to buy any product endorsed by, or carrying the name of, a rap/hip-hop artist. I like bass, but I'm looking for true fidelity, not overcompensating thud-osity.

Well, that's good. 'Cause they sound utterly crap!

My personal choice of headphones is Beyer DT770s. But at over £100 i reckon finding a pair for $100 would be tricky! I use them in the studio and for general listening on the bus/train etc.

For general listening I much prefer over-the-head style phones, around £50 ($100ish) are the Sennheiser HD215s. I've used these a few times. Excellent isolation, nice sound and a half decent bass. The 205s are a little cheaper but don't hug your face so much as clamp it! The EH350s would also be quite good for you I imagine, at around the same price as the HD215s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Grado SR-60 (or SR-60i as the successor is called):
Amazon.com: Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones: Electronics

Really comfortable, sound great and if you check for reviews you'll see how highly these are recommended.

They are open headphones though, so you might want something closed if you plan on using your headphones in the same space as others.

OP
C

chas_m

My thanks for the recommendations so far. Haven't made a decision but I am checking them out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP
I have used the Sony MDR-7506 and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for studio and live sound work and they sound great. Both pairs are very durable, have a nice long chord, offer great isolation, and come with a 1/4" adapter. They sell online for around $90 (USA).

My other suggestion would be to go to your local electronics shop and see what they have on display that you could try out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.