Something Hijacked my browser home page

Reaction score
Dear brothers and sisters,

I have a problem that has me scratching my head, my browser is being hijacked by a chinese website, the offending site just loads as the default home page instead of my current one. I've tried many different ways to get rid of it.
I ran Norton to check for a virus, nothing. I scanned for spyware, nothing.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this bogus site,
thanks so much
Ollie:)

Reaction score

I have a problem that has me scratching my head, my browser is being hijacked by a chinese website, the offending site just loads as the default home page instead of my current one. I've tried many different ways to get rid of it.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of this bogus site,
thanks so much
Ollie:)

What version of Mac OS X are you running, and on what browser? We needs specs! Give us specs! Be specific! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
A screen shot wouldnt go astray either ....But only months ago i remember a thread was started for this exact thing, but for the life of me cant find it :( But in the end it was BC of visiting 1 particular site that everyone had in common ...

Will keep looking

C

chas_m

There's no such thing as a virus for the Mac.

What you have is a DNS hijacker, a form of the Trojan DNSChanger. You probably got it from a "suspicious" web site.

Here's one method of removing it:
First Look: Trojan Horse warning: What you need to know | Utilities | Macworld

PS. When this is done, uninstall all traces of Norton and pretend you have never heard of it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

PS. When this is done, uninstall all traces of Norton and pretend you have never heard of it.

Some great advice right there!

Reaction score

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the whole Norton thing, I stopped even using it in Windows in 2002 or so. After Peter Norton sold the company, in my opinion they really went down hill. Norton on Windows at least, is very bloated and sucks so much resources I just can't use it. Many process's running also making even my newest Windows system bog down. On Windows I much prefer AntiVir and other smaller AV apps. Catches any virus that has ever came along and really does not take much in the resource department.

On OSX at this point I don't really use an AntiVirus. That might change as time marches on, but I do run ClamAVX once in a while to be sure there are no Windows Virus's that can be sent to other Windows users. I have heard the same horror stories about Norton on OSX and don't doubt them.

That is my take on the Norton hatred anyway! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Pro
I use Norton 360 on Windows and Virus Barrier X6 on the MacBook Pro. Had to disable the Norton 'SONAR' feature which automatically removed beta versions of Firefox as fast I as installed them :Angry:

Reaction score
a beautiful village in County Cork Ireland
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6.4 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 4Gb 800MHz DDR2SDRAM GeForce 9800GTVideo 2x500GB HD
Ditto on Norton. I have not tried it on Mac but my experience with Windows was enough. Really crazy heavy on resources. Lots of good free stuff for windows why pay. If you really want to pay McAfee is best for windows.:D

But as per my new thread I have been seriously hacked on my mac. My root password has been changed. I am afraid to Mac glorious fearfree surfing days may be over.
:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.