Mac Mail - errors attempting to use .mac account

Reaction score
Hi - I've been trawling forums trying to answer my own query but not quite clear. It seems a lot of people have experienced similar issues in past. :)

What's happened:
> Some years ago I was utilising my .mac email account.
> Last year I carried out a free MobileMe trial using same username/email address as .mac. Didn't continue with subscription.
> Now looking to again use .mac email account in Mac OS Mail - keep getting errors about password and SMTP server. (So - username and password allow me to log in to defunct MobileMe account, but aren't accepted back in Mac Mail.)
> Under Mail preferences >> Accounts, the outgoing SMPT server reads "Offline".

Questions:
> Can Mail no longer be used for free, using a .mac address through OS Mail? (If no, then I guess that endeth my question!)
> If yes, how to address the password/SMTP issue - esp how to get the outgoing server off "Offline"?

I have tried many found forum suggestions about the 'Edit SMTP Server List' in Preferences, to no avail. :Confused:

THANKS in advance to any remedying advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Are you trying to continue using the user name and password of the trial account?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.