Appleworks won't boot; no privs to view desktop

Reaction score
Am working on my parents' eMac. Running 10.3.9; just repaired permissions. (1) Appleworks 6.2.9 installs, opens to the point of getting File, Edit, etc, headers, but then hangs endlessly; dial spins, have to force quit. I have QckTime 7.4.5 installed & Acrobat Reader 4.0. Ideas on why Appleworks won't work? (2) When I take a screen snapshot w/ Comm-Shft-4, the "shutter" goes clunk, but I have no idea where the picture goes. When I try to open the Desktop folder (where I believe the pic should go), I get a message "Can't open. You don't have permission." There is only one account set up; the Admin. I can go anywhere else. Quite lost here. Thanks. john

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Firstly, repair permissions again, but use OnyX 1.5.3 from Titanium Software.

I take it that you're trying to open AWks from scratch, rather than opening an existing AW file. If so, it reads like there's been a corruption to the install process. Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling AWks? If no, and you decide to try it, remove ALL AWks files by using a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or AppZapper or CleanApp.

Screenshot: it will save as Picture 1, Picture 2 and so on, and the default location is Desktop. Use Cmd-F to search, using the keyword 'Picture'. Can you see the full desktop on the eMac? You shouldn't need to go to a 'folder'.

The last Quicktime for Panther is 7.5, but I don't think it's a factor in the AWks scenario. AcRdr 5 is, I believe, the last for Panther, and again, I don't think it's involved in the problem. Do both those apps open and work okay?

Last: if the software problems continue, consider using the Panther Disk 1 to boot, and run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the hard drive. I don't think there's a hardware problem, but it won't hurt to check.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks

I will try what you said; did not think to boot from original CD before running Disk Util. Yes, trying to install AWorks and open it right up. Thanks, and I will let you know what I learn when I do what you suggested. No idea where Pic 1, 2, etc go; mine are right there on the desktop on my machine. Will search, etc. john

OP
J
Reaction score
still hangs

Firstly, repair permissions again, but use OnyX 1.5.3 from Titanium Software. •• Hugh: Good utility. Used it. Did everything I could with it.

I take it that you're trying to open AWks from scratch, rather than opening an existing AW file. •• Tried both. Same thing; it hangs for several minutes after the menu bar appears. Installs always say "Success."

If so, it reads like there's been a corruption to the install process.•• Sure sounds that way, yes.

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling AWks? If no, and you decide to try it, remove ALL AWks files by using a third-party uninstaller like AppCleaner or AppZapper or CleanApp.•• None of those work on 10.3.9, but I used the uninstall option included w/ the the AppleWorks install disc. I tried to install AW from an Appleworks disc, from an iMac disc that has Appleworks on it, and I re-installed the original software. Same thing; AW still hangs.

Screenshot: it will save as Picture 1, Picture 2 and so on, and the default location is Desktop. Use Cmd-F to search, using the keyword 'Picture'. Can you see the full desktop on the eMac? You shouldn't need to go to a 'folder'. •• Agreed. Screen dumps, parts or all, always appear right on my desk top with my iMac, and all the Macs I've ever owned. These are hidden in a folder called Desktop when I do a search. When I find them, and then open, them their icon THEN appears on the desktop, in plain sight where it should have been the first time. I still can not open the Desktop folder, but if I search and find files in it, I can open them (that is when they appear on the desk top.) What the buckets is going on?

Last: if the software problems continue, consider using the Panther Disk 1 to boot, and run Disk Utility > First Aid to verify the hard drive. I don't think there's a hardware problem, but it won't hurt to check. •• Did that, too. Repaired permissions again, and repaired disc after booting from it. I also used Command-I to open info on the AW folder and the AW app, and set it so everyone had read/write permissions on them. Appleworks used to work on this machine; have AW files on here that dad made. I also updated AW 6 to AW 6.2.9. Chit. I don't know what else to do. All other apps work just fine. If all else fails, I guess I will have to b/u everything they need and reformat the hard drive. Oh, boy.... let the fun begin. If you have any other suggestions, please advise. Thanks. john
Oh. I have to type something out here so the forum cop is happy; I just got the "message too short" screen. So, cop, here you go.

OP
J
Reaction score
solved some

I can now access the Desktop folder, and screen dumps now work as they should. I removed Prefs folder from Library. That trick did not help AppleWorks, though. Well, part way home.... j

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
If all else fails, I guess I will have to b/u everything they need and reformat the hard drive. Oh, boy.... let the fun begin. If you have any other suggestions, please advise.

"Brevity is the soul of wit", but not when it comes to Mac-Forums apparently ;).

I don't think you need to do backup and reformat - yet. That's a last resort. Everything else but AWks is okay. My guess about AWks is a missing component, eg. library, but the reinstallation should have solved that.

The reason I came in on this topic was that about two years ago I had the same problem with AWks, ie. hanging, couldn't open itself or its files. That was on an eMac using Tiger. OnyX fixed whatever problem it was. I use AWks 6.2.9 on my G3 iMac/Panther, but searching that doesn't really help.

Maybe AWUG AppleWorks Users Group (AWUG), iWork Users Group (iWUG) - Home could help.

Screenshots in Panther are saved to desktop as .pdf. MacOS Help says they should be on the desktop. Why you should need to go to the item and then only will it appear puzzles me. Something in Finder prefs? Maybe delete desktop .plist and then reboot?

My fault in pointing you to those uninstallers - sorry. Try AppDelete should you need to. AppDelete 2.2.4 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

OP
J
Reaction score
I won

Hugh: Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally won. After I trashed a variety of preferences (done after all the other things I tried) I re-installed AW 6 for the 30th time, and the sucker works like it is supposed to. If not noted above, the Desktop is working like normal, too, after digging up and trashing prefs on it, too. I wish now that I had STARTED with trashing prefs, though now I know that everything is cleaned up, organized, and slick everywhere. Have a good one, and thanks for the other uninstall links. john

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.