iPhone 3G touchscreen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem, I bought a used iPhone 3G off ebay for £220 ($280?) which was stated in excellent working condition, however when I received it half of the touchscreen will not work.

After contacting the seller he refused that there was a problem with it when he sent it out and that I was trying to scam him, any way long story short I couldn't get a refund and am now stuck with trying to fix this.

I have scoured all over google and found it was most probably the digitiser, so I bought a new replacement screen+digitiser and followed the guide on replacing it.

After replacing, it still has the same problem, the bottom half of the touchscreen will not respond to touch yet the top half will, so this rules out the digitiser.

I'm really not sure where to go from here, please can someone help me on fixing this problem as I'd hate to think I paid all that money for a brick.

Any help you can give will be invaluable.

Regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
If it's not the digitizer then most likely it's a logic board issue, Also it could be something as trivial as a dirty connector on the logic board. I have found that a DRY tooth brush is good cleaning dirty connections in the iPhone.

Good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
Tried giving the connectors a clean but didn't have any effect.

I think it's either connector 3 or 2 which transfers information from the digitiser?

Took a few pictures to how the inside of it, dosen't look damaged to me

DSC00370.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

With connector 3 attached:
DSC00376.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
the connections look good and the water sensors aren't tripped either. I would best guess it's the logic board. Those connections are pretty durable for the most part I would rule those out.

another place you might want to try is ModMyI.com they have a really big iPhone section dedicated to hardware repairs.

I have worked on my fair share of iPhones and the only models that had touch screen issues were the 2G models.

OP
M
Reaction score
the connections look good and the water sensors aren't tripped either. I would best guess it's the logic board. Those connections are pretty durable for the most part I would rule those out.

another place you might want to try is ModMyI.com they have a really big iPhone section dedicated to hardware repairs.

I have worked on my fair share of iPhones and the only models that had touch screen issues were the 2G models.

Thanks I'll try asking over there also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.