Issue connecting G4 (10.4.11) to WPA wifi via Airport (9.52)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz Penryn 2Gb Ram 800MHz Running OSX 10.6.2
I am struggling to resolve a wi-fi connectivity issue between a G4 imac with airport card and a netgear wireless-n access point.

The set up is as follows - the broadband comes into a Netgear router (DG834Gv5)which my Intel imac connects wirelessly to. Two daughter's den is away downstairs so I run an ethernet cable from the main netgear router to a netgear Pro-safe wireless access point (WNAP210) as an extender (we live on a houseboat so there are metal bulkheads and the like inbetween.

In the den older daughters G5 wirelessly connects to the Netgear access point easily through a WPA-PSK connection.

Younger daughters G4 running 10.4.11, with original airport card running firmware 9.52 (airport admin utility 4.2) refuses with the 'wrong password' error (it isn't - I have checked 50x) or sometimes just 'there was an error joining'.
It can see the network strongly (the airport menubar icon goes full, then cuts, then flashes on, then drops) but refuses any traffic.
This G4 can however connect, weakly, with my upstairs router which is also WPA-PSK protected (same password)!

I have read all the forums on this and despite some non-expert posts muddling the issue I believe that this SHOULD be possible. Not WPA2 I know but basic WPA.
In addition the options in the netgear extender are b&g (like upstairs which works), g or n. So I have selected b&g - no difference.

Currently I have had to set a separate channel for her and leave it unsecured which isn't a long term option (I am just hoping that even the cleverest war-driver cant sneak in through the extender, back up to the traffic between my Intel and the main router !!?)

Can anyone suggest what I might be missing in the conjuration (sic, ahem) configuration settings either on the G4 or the Netgear box ?

Is it enough to turn the broadcasting of the open channel name off and so render it invisible ?

Thanks in advance for any expert person's attention

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.