Removing iUserbar?!?!

Reaction score
A friend of mine used my MacBook yesterday and when he was done, Safari suddenly had this thing called iUserbar installed into it. I deleted it from my applications menu (and then from recycling) and can't seem to find any other parts of it located anywhere else on my Mac, but it still pops up whenever I open Safari.

I've also completely removed Safari and reinstalled it - which didn't fix the problem, either.

I'm afraid this thing is doing harm to my Mac and/or gathering private information.

Can somebody PLEASE aid me on its removal? Thank you so much.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A little nasty installed by the Spirit jailbreak or more probably a site faking the real developers site.

Have you quit and re-opened Safari or rebooted the machine since you deleted it?

Check in your user folder under Library / Application Support and also Library / Safari

From now on, make anyone using your computer do so in the Guest account, not your user account.

OP
M
Reaction score
winpenn had

I have reinstalled Safar and restarted it many times, yes. I've also restarted my Macbook twice.

I discovered in Application Support there is a folder called CONDUIT, which is where this toolbar stems from. However, I continue to put it in the recycling bin, empty bin, but it keeps coming back whenever I open or close Safari (depending on whether or not Safari is open when I delete it). Been doing this process over and over and I can't figure out where the rest of it is.

I checked in Safari's folder in Library, but can't seem to see anything out of place. Can anybody tell me the list of what belongs in there, that way I can see if I've got something extra?

Thanks for the response, Bob.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Also check these folders in that same location.
Preference Panes
Preferences
Internet Plug-ins
LaunchAgents

my Safari folder looks like this:
20100619-i6ttpk2d9dxje59t21iyts24b.jpg

OP
M
Reaction score
to clucks

Thanks. Checked all of those and didn't see anything unusual.

I even went as far as deleting the Conduit folder, then uninstalling Safari, then double-checking to make sure Conduit was still gone before reinstalling Safari - and BAM, Conduit/iUserbar still came back. :Angry:

I'm hoping somebody on here has had this problem before and can give me their exact remedy!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have clicked on the Help menu in Safari and selected Installed Plug-ins?

Also checked Mac...HD/Library/Internet Plug-ins - could be there if it was installed for 'all' users.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Not sure if this will help in this case of not but how about deleting the safari plist file?

com.apple.Safari.plist

It's located in Users/Username(yourusername)/Library/Preferences.

Maybe it's launching it from there.

Edit: Found this. See if this does it for you. Let us know.

To manually uninstall the toolbar from Safari on Mac:
Run /Applications/Toolbars/<Toolbar name>/Uninstall.app
In case the application fails you need to delete the followings:
/Library/Application Support/Conduit
/Library/InputManagers/CTLoader
/Library/Receipts/ctloader.pkg
/Library/Receipts/<Toolbar name>.pkg
/Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/CT2285220.bundle
/Users/<User name>/Library/Application Supports/Conduit

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I just went and found it and installed it.

click the down arrow at the left hand side of the toolbar
select 'Toolbar Options' from the list
go to the 'Additional Settings' tab in the popup window
click on the 'Uninstall Toolbar' button
click 'Yes'

Gone...

OP
M
Reaction score
dtravis7, thanks for attempting to help but I decided to give Bob's solution a shot first and it worked.

Bob, thanks a lot! That was real dumb of me. I just closed out/deleted the toolbar before, so just the yellow bell thing would be displayed every time Safari started. In order to attempt your solution I had to re-download iUserbar so I had the toolbar itself back. Your solution worked in a second. It's hard to believe somebody would make it so easy to get rid of a toolbar but they did and my Safari is back to normal.

Thanks for all the assistance!!!

Reaction score
hey me too

i dont have a mac, nor do i use safari. but i got iuserbar stuck on my google chrome. can anyone help me remove it.

C

chas_m

leelavell72: try reading post #8 in this thread.

MasterUnholy: the advice about NEVER letting anyone else use your account bears repeating, especially if they're going to do something that dumb. This is exactly what the guest account option is for.

Reaction score
ummmmmm......yeah google chrome doesn't give you those options. so that didn't help at all. otherwise i wouldn't have asked.

C

chas_m

Ummmm ... Bob's post (#8) didn't mention a browser at all. He was talking about the tools within the iUserbar itself.

Since iUserbar doesn't actually care what browser its being installed onto, it should look exactly the same for all browsers.

Maybe a screenshot would help us help you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With extensions being used now in several of the browsers, and in Chrome in particular (Safari is probably similar), extensions will be removed in the extensions window.

On the Menu, head for Window - Extensions.
On the extension you want to remove, click Uninstall - twice.

Reaction score
i've attached the picture of the toolbar options box that it gave me. see no option to uninstall. bob if you could tell me how to get to the window-extensions that might help me out quite a bit. thanks.

iuserbar.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I stated - on the Menu, aka the Menu bar at the top of your screen.
While you are in the browser.

On the Menu, head for Window - Extensions.
On the extension you want to remove, click Uninstall - twice.

I know, sometimes the obvious just doesn't snap in the old brain. ;D

Reaction score
thanks bob. you were sorta right. google chrome doesnt have a menu bar at the top for me to choose options from. it has a little wrench icon to the side. i clicked on that and a menu dropped down. i moused over tools and another menu popped out and it just so happened to contain the extensions you were speaking of. i clicked on that and uninstalled the iuserbar and something else i hadnt even known about that was some surf helper or something. thank you everyone for your help. you all got me on the right path to figuring it out myself.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chrome has a menu on the Menu bar the same as every other application you open.

20110810-dfbu44f26pk7tagg4kupccewcw.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.