Dead Logic Board?

Reaction score
Dead Logic Board or GPU?

I've got a 15" Early 2008 model MBP (under applecare warrenty until July 11th 2011). A few days ago when I went to go turn it on the screen stayed black, there was no startup chime, but you could hear the fans starting up, etc.

I assume its a dead logic board from everything ive read. I've tried everything I could think of to fix it.

Like I said its covered under applecare, and I can either take it to a store near me, or send it in to apple.

Heres the hairy part. About 6 months ago or so I tried to take it apart to put in a larger harddrive, but some of the screws didnt want to come out, and after realizing the ungodly number of screws needed to get into the harddrive I gave up. But I think I'm missing a few screws, and the case buckled a bit in the middle.

I really don't care about them replacing the case, nor do I expect them to since that was my fault. But Would they void my whole warrenty because of that? I don't want to lose my warrenty over that whenever all I want is whatever is wrong inside of it replaced so it will work again.

Edit:

Also, about 2 weeks ago my DVD drive started automatically ejecting every disc I tried to put in it, which i'd like fixed if they could ( I rarely use the DVD drive though).

Edit 2:

I'm also reading its possible it could be a dead GPU? Would it not make the startup chime if the GPU was dead?

I might head to the Apple Store on Monday, but its about 2 hours away.
Whats the chance of a conflict about trying to void my warrenty because of the missing outside screws, even when I just want the insides fixed?

And how long does it take to fix a GPU or Logic Board? would I have to leave it overnight?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the GPU is surface mounted (soldered) to the logic board, it really makes no difference which is bad since the entire board has to be replaced in either event.

If they replace the logic board the machine may possibly have to be sent out in order for it to be done. Some Apple stores have a good on site repair facility and stock of parts, others do not. If they do have to send it out, the repair may take a week or more.

As to your other difficulties regarding the warranty, replacing a hard drive or memory does not void your warranty, however, anything you damage in the process, is on your tab.

Probably a good idea for you to call ahead and make an appointment before taking your MBP in. Apple stores as of late have been swamped with customers with the new iPad and now the new iPhone.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.