• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

MKV file help (1080p movie)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Duo 4 GB Ram
Hey guys, I have a mkv 1080p, about 12gb movie file that I would like to be able to watch on my tv here at home (1080i). I was wondering if it would be a possibility to burn this movie onto a dvd by converting to a compatible format or something or if it would just be much more simple to buy a mini port adapter so that I can just hook up my mac straight to the tv.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the adapter and save yourself possible headaches. That file won't even fit on DL media without some form of compression. Now if you had a Blue Ray burner.... :D

Regards.

OP
PsychologyGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buy the adapter and save yourself possible headaches. That file won't even fit on DL media without some form of compression. Now if you had a Blue Ray burner.... :D

Regards.

ahhh blue ray burner would be nice but...$$ I think I might just go ahead and get the adapter. I've found some on ebay. In your opinion, do you think the quality would be good compared to if I would go to apple.com and buy one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I would suggest monoprice.com or amazon instead of ebay for practically all your cable needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
monoprice.com makes awesome adapters and cables that are really inexpensive. You might want to check them out. I buy from them all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Which MBP do you have? the 13" with the 320m or the 15" with the 330M?

If you have the 13", with that level of a file - if you don't have it, get Plex, and look thru the plex Blog and get the binary replacement that has hardware decoding (there are instructions on where in the app package to replace the existing file - it's a release from one of the devs to kind of show us all where they're heading with playback capabilities). They've done a really nice job with it using hardware acceleration on H.264 video; even video contained in mkv files. I don't see my 2GHz mini with a 9400m exceed about 60% (on a max of 200% if both cores in full use) with 1080p footage @30-35mbps with smooth playback.

OP
PsychologyGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest monoprice.com or amazon instead of ebay for practically all your cable needs.

monoprice.com makes awesome adapters and cables that are really inexpensive. You might want to check them out. I buy from them all the time.

thanks, I'll check it out.

OP
PsychologyGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which MBP do you have? the 13" with the 320m or the 15" with the 330M?

If you have the 13", with that level of a file - if you don't have it, get Plex, and look thru the plex Blog and get the binary replacement that has hardware decoding (there are instructions on where in the app package to replace the existing file - it's a release from one of the devs to kind of show us all where they're heading with playback capabilities). They've done a really nice job with it using hardware acceleration on H.264 video; even video contained in mkv files. I don't see my 2GHz mini with a 9400m exceed about 60% (on a max of 200% if both cores in full use) with 1080p footage @30-35mbps with smooth playback.

what is that? The movie plays fine on my mac as is- why do I need that? Just asking, don't mean to sound rude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, you may not need it. But, depending on how you play back, it may be using a lot of CPU power to do the playback. On some systems as bitrates get very high in video it can cause dropped frames and not-so-fluid playback causing annoying stutters. Personally I prefer hardware H.264 video decoding (in the case of playback on the computer, this means using the video card to decode and render the H.264 compressed material) as it tends to offer smooth playback even at extremely high bitrates. Software decoding tends to utilize a lot of CPU power depending on the source material and some people prefer to offload that work to the GPU if possible.

If you're not having a problem with stuttering then you don't need it, if you find that your video seems to have hiccups or stutters during playback then you need a way to use hardware acceleration.

Unless things changed in 10.6.4 that was just released, quicktime only does hardware acceleration on MP4/M4V/MOV that has H.264 video in it, which means other containers don't benefit from hardware decoding.

Here's a tidbit on hardware decoding: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OP
PsychologyGuy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, you may not need it. But, depending on how you play back, it may be using a lot of CPU power to do the playback. On some systems as bitrates get very high in video it can cause dropped frames and not-so-fluid playback causing annoying stutters. Personally I prefer hardware H.264 video decoding (in the case of playback on the computer, this means using the video card to decode and render the H.264 compressed material) as it tends to offer smooth playback even at extremely high bitrates. Software decoding tends to utilize a lot of CPU power depending on the source material and some people prefer to offload that work to the GPU if possible.

If you're not having a problem with stuttering then you don't need it, if you find that your video seems to have hiccups or stutters during playback then you need a way to use hardware acceleration.

Unless things changed in 10.6.4 that was just released, quicktime only does hardware acceleration on MP4/M4V/MOV that has H.264 video in it, which means other containers don't benefit from hardware decoding.

Here's a tidbit on hardware decoding: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh I see, I'll keep that in mind if I ever see my video become choppy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.