Offer sounds too good to be true...

Reaction score
Found a guy locally selling a Macbook Pro, 13'', 2.26 ghz, 4gb ram, superdrive, 160gb hd, like new with box (2009 model supposedly) for $900. it also has bootcamp with windows 7 ultimate and microsoft works. still under warranty until august.

Is there a way to verify this is a genuine apple product? He said if i feel like its shady he can call mac and tell them the serial number to verify the purchase date/warranty info. I don't know if there is a macbook pro scam or not, but this does seem too good to be true. I did buy a macbook pro 17'', and i love it but it is seriously way too big, a 13'' would be awesome and i like to indulge in some older computer games so the windows boot would be nice as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Perhaps you should call with the serial number to verify.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Found a guy locally selling a Macbook Pro, 13'', 2.26 ghz, 4gb ram, superdrive, 160gb hd, like new with box (2009 model supposedly) for $900. it also has bootcamp with windows 7 ultimate and microsoft works. still under warranty until august.

Is there a way to verify this is a genuine apple product? He said if i feel like its shady he can call mac and tell them the serial number to verify the purchase date/warranty info. I don't know if there is a macbook pro scam or not, but this does seem too good to be true. I did buy a macbook pro 17'', and i love it but it is seriously way too big, a 13'' would be awesome and i like to indulge in some older computer games so the windows boot would be nice as well...

It depends on how you're defining a "To Good to be True" deal.

A. If you're saying that $900 is a to good to be true deal for simply the computer hardware.
B. Or if it's a "too good to be true deal" because the Windows 7 & Microsoft Works software being included.

If it's choice "B" (because of the included software). Unless you get the original install disks included (with the serial numbers & product keys)...then the software is illegal.

If choice "A" (just a great deal for the hardware)...then $900 really isn't that great of a price. Why...? You can get this computer refurbished at the Apple Store for $929:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

The only difference I can see. The computer you referenced has 4 gig of ram, and the Apple Store computer has 2 gig of ram. So for $29 dollars less than the Apple Store you're getting 4 gig vs. 2 gig of ram. But if you purchase the computer from the Apple Store...you will have no worries about the computers history...or where it came from!:)

Get the original software install disks...or the installs are illegal. If you ever needed to reinstall the software in the future (if you need to reformat the hard drive or have a hard drive failure)...you won't have the disks & serial numbers.

Bottom line...the computer you listed for $900 is an ok deal...but nothing to do back-flips over!;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. "New In Box" is just a fancy way saying "used". Once the box is opened, and the computer removed & turned on...it's used. Very lightly used yes...but still used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.