Internet Share?

Reaction score
We have two macs one running 10.4 ( iMac ) the other a 10.5 mac mini.
We use the iMac in one end of the house mini on the other end, well for the past week or so when we start internet share on the iMac when anything connects to it, the internet share disconnects. I checked the console and it says the bootpd crashes and writes the log but I cant find the log file anywhere.

Anyways this is a big annoyance for me as I can only run the mini and I have to use the city wide free wifi and that is way too slow. Also its not just the mini that connects to their computer and it crashes I have also tried on my touch and it also disconnects.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Your post is a little confusing. What method are you using to share your internet? You need a router if you don't already have one. If you already have one then make sure that it's setup correctly.

OP
J
Reaction score
We have a DSL Modem, ethernet cable goes from the back of that to the iMac.
We then use the internet share under system pref>sharing>internet. It set up to share from ethernet to computers with airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never actually shared the internet that way. Was it working before and recently is having problems or have you never got it to work? It sounds like the feature is using your computer to act like a router. I don't know how reliable this feature is and I'll let someone else with more experience with it to comment but I think you will probably get a more reliable shared connecting with a dedicated actual router. They aren't that expensive.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes it has been working for a few months now, we went on vacation and came back and now its not working not sure why.
We did use a router but for some reason it just wont work anymore, no matter what we do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you didn't change anything and if you setup the router correctly and it's still not working then you should contact your ISP to see if there is a problem on their end. DSL connections can be trick to setup on a router so calling your ISP will also make sure it's setup correctly.

Can you get internet with just one computer directly from the DSL modem?

OP
J
Reaction score
We dont really care to use the router anymore, the issue is with the mac internet share.
The internet works fine on the other computer that is connected with ethernet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't believe too many people share the internet this way so it might be hard to get some help. I don't know if it's the most reliable way either. If you insist on doing it this way and no one else can help you here then you might want to try searching the documentations on Apple's website or their forums. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.