• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Hedge fund predicts Apple stock price to fall to $42 as soon as Fall 2010

Reaction score
I take it this is a bad thing. But question is, will they be right? Considering Apple releases interesting updates to the iPod line every fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The article provides examples of correct predictions. Now how many did they get wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I wouldn't mind all that much. Just gives me a chance to purchase at a better price.

Doug

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They are on crack. Must have figured out that the best way to publicize your organization these days is to say something completely counter to reason and mention Apple in the same breath.

Clearly Apple hit the ball out of the park with the iPhone 4. That momentum should carry them for some time to come, even without any major product releases (which you know there will be).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I predict that this will be Apples best quarter ever so it might be hard for them to top
but its not like people don't go into a buying frenzy during the holidays and with iPad/iPhone sales far exceeding production can't see this train slowing down plus those
that never tried OSX and a Mac will be more willing after owning the two said products to
see if the experience carries over.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
cwa107 is right on target. With the overall economy in the pits and the market acting like the ocean on a stormy day, Apple has been one of the few bright spots and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

Regards.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
How do you know these people are not like "Hey Apple is doing really well now so we say they will drop and hope they do so we can make some money". Influencing the market in a way. Yes this is totally illegal. But I've seen fund managers like these do much worse so I would not put it past them.

And secondly maybe a stock split is in order for Apple. But a 5+ to 1 split think is a little silly.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do you know these people are not like "Hey Apple is doing really well now so we say they will drop and hope they do so we can make some money". Influencing the market in a way. Yes this is totally illegal. But I've seen fund managers like these do much worse so I would not put it past them.

And secondly maybe a stock split is in order for Apple. But a 5+ to 1 split think is a little silly.

Yes, I do believe that this is a form of market manipulation - and Apple's stock has repeatedly fallen victim to this sort of shady behavior. In fact, there was some anecdotal evidence to suggest that much of the "flash crash" a few months ago revolved around antics related to Apple's stock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
figured…M$FT probably paid them off!

It would be funny if the stock price of $42 is just the result of a multiple stock split! I don't know everything about the stock market, and don't claim to be an expert, but for apple's stocks to go down to 42 after being at 260+, there has to be a HUGE problem, or a simple multi-stock split. The only thing that I think could go wrong with apple, causing their stocks to go down that drastically, is the death of, let's just hypothetically say, Steve! Other than that, there are stock analysts who always seek attention one way or another.

CWA107, I completely agree with you!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
figured…M$FT paid them off!

Honestly, I don't think Microsoft has enough brains at the helm to pull anything so complex off at the moment.

They still can't wrap their brains around how to make money in consumer electronics...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I also believe that it should illegal to claim such bold statements as a hedge fund. They are trying to change apple's stock environment in their favor so they can profit. It makes no sense considering that apple has more than $42 per share, in their own bank to begin with. It would almost be physically impossible for their stock price to even come close to going under $50 per share…unless the economy is in the toilet, at which point having a stock at any price that high would make you a god!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.