• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

FCC votes to reclassify Internet access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is great news! More likelihood of net neutrality passing! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not a chance. POTUS wants his kill switch.
Internet 'Kill Switch' Would Give President Power To Shut Down The Web

This isn't about freedom, it's about control.

I see no problem with the government having the ability to do this in an extreme emergency.

I mean think about it, in a future world where the power grid and other essential utilities are all part of the network not to mention military and security, I think it's important to have an arsenal of protection against cyber attacks.

Imagine a scenario where some group in Russia or the Chinese military launch a cyber attack crippling our power grid and water or a worst case scenario, maybe they cripple all that plus communications while planning ot launch an attack (I know extreme, but you never know)...the last thing I want to hear from our government is "oh uh sorry, we can't do anything to stop this DDoS attack so we'll just have to deal".

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes in an extreme emergency is fine. But I think everyone's definition of an extreme emergency is different. And I think is where the arguments come in. My reasons for using the kill switch is better then yours and yours is wrong etc etc.

And the existence of a kill switch brings up one question.
What measures would be in place to ensure said kill switch would not be abused?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And the existence of a kill switch brings up one question.What measures would be in place to ensure said kill switch would not be abused?

You could ask that same question about any power that the government has. In general, you either trust your elected leaders to do the right thing or you don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
I see no problem with the government having the ability to do this in an extreme emergency.

I mean think about it, in a future world where the power grid and other essential utilities are all part of the network not to mention military and security, I think it's important to have an arsenal of protection against cyber attacks.

Imagine a scenario where some group in Russia or the Chinese military launch a cyber attack crippling our power grid and water or a worst case scenario, maybe they cripple all that plus communications while planning ot launch an attack (I know extreme, but you never know)...the last thing I want to hear from our government is "oh uh sorry, we can't do anything to stop this DDoS attack so we'll just have to deal".

Had dinner with a "strategic network planner" this past week. She told me what she did and I told her that she was not doing a very good job. There need to be set gateways for the country. Place them around the country so the physical network kinda matches the virtural network. These set gateways would be the only way into and out of the country. Then when that cyber attack comes, the gateways are closed and everyone inside is allowed to at least communicate on the inside. Infected boxes could be isolated and cut off.

"Net Neutrality" is the first step to over regulation. The road to **** is... you know the cliche. The problem is what defines "an extreme emergency". To some the oil spill is, to some it is not. To some Katrina was, to some it was not. Using the kill switch at any level, company, corporate, national, some are gun shy and some are trigger happy. "Rogue email! KILL THE GIBSON!"

What needs to happen is companies need to get internet and tech savvy enough to conduct their own business. This includes the ISPs. Hmmm. Known site spewing out malware? Blocked. You have a bad subnet? Blocked. As a network admin, you don't know your subnets and IPs? You're Fired!

More than a first step to over regulation, "net neutrality" is an excuse for companies and IPs to be security LAZY.

(Finally, as a moderator, you see my IPs and where I post from. The best advice I can give you and the members of this forum is to stay away from websites based in the countries you listed. ;) And you'll be pretty safe.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Net Neutrality" is the first step to over regulation. The road to **** is... you know the cliche. The problem is what defines "an extreme emergency". To some the oil spill is, to some it is not. To some Katrina was, to some it was not.

I would argue that under regulating didn't do much to help us in the financial meltdown and the BP spill. Good times that's led us to...

And to anyone who would argue that the BP spill isn't an emergency or catastrophe, they're either on the oil company's payroll or so filled with tea party propaganda they can't see straight. I think most rational people can agree in general on what an emergency is, regardless.

As for your assertion that net neutrality and government authority over the internet is an excuse for others to be lazy or lax on security, I would argue that given the rate of change in technology and the inherent decentralization of the internet's structure, it's almost impossible to be secure enough when protecting yourself against organized sophisticated attacks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
xenon air

At the risk of going OT, you can be totally disconnected from reality to not think it is a complete and utter disaster. Over 60 days later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
You could ask that same question about any power that the government has. In general, you either trust your elected leaders to do the right thing or you don't.

Elected leaders doing the right thing....lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Steve Jobs would probably agree! Most stories failed to include the fact that too many geeks in the audience were overloading the "circuits".

Elected leaders doing the right thing....lol
When they do, it's for the wrong reason. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The Federal government already controls communications, like it or not. I regard these types of announcements as after the fact. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission in most cases. No real story here if you ask me. If you honestly think that government is asking for any input on this, you probably believe we are a democracy too. Common mistake. Ask the Iranian populace (not the ones running the country) how happy they are when the government turns down the volume during "emergencies". Anyhow, I assume it can be done here as well, so this really doesn't change my day any.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.