64 bit O/S...Is this still the future?

B

badmojo

With all the Intel talk going around, I wonder what you all think about OSX or OS-whatever remaining a 64 bit OS? Candidly, I'm not sure what the exact benefits of a 64 bit OS are, but I'm curious as to whether this is still the future. Will Apple stay with the 64 bit theme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I think they will remain 64bit, since intel does make 64bit proccesors.

OP
B

badmojo

I hope Apple won't stray too far from thier path. They have a good thing going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
Wait,is there going to be a new os like os "y" when all the intel's come out?

OP
J

j5ive

im pretty sure they will be sticking with 64bit since Tiger just rolled out and its 64bit technology right? correct me if im wrong =)

Reaction score
j5ive said:
Tiger just rolled out and its 64bit technology

OS X had 64bit support before Tiger.

AMD had a 64bit processor, now Intel does, Microsoft released a 64bit version of windows, it just seems to be the way things are going.

OP
J

j5ive

ok ok .. yea i knew 64bit tech was around in the Apple world for alot longer.. I also have a laptop with AMD 64 chip .. I loaded a copy of the new windows 64bit pro. It sucks right now cause of lack of drivers... =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
Wait,is there going to be a new os like os "y" when all the intel's come out?

Guess that would be something like OS XI (OS 11), as OS X means, and is read, as OS "10", not OS "X" (like the letter X).
My roman numbering might be a bit rusty, but I can't recall Y being a roman number... :cool:

64bit is the future, in general for all platforms. It is the next logical step forward.
Though if we take game consoles as example, the next big step might be a very different one...
The Sega Dreamcast had a 128bit (!!) CPU, while the newer and definitely more performant Xbox has only a 32bit CPU (Intel PIII).

So maybe someday, we might get back to 8bit?! Who knows... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
lol I rather go on to 64 bit then go back to 8, lol but if performance is better (no way that it would be) bring on the 8bit!

OP
B

badmojo

I do think 'Leopard' will be designed to better interface with Intel. It's going to be an interesting release, in that Jobs wants to steal Microsoft's thunder since Longhorn will be released around the same time. You can bet that Apple will have a slew of advertising during that time attcking MS' newest OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.