• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple exploring HD Radio for future iPods, iPhones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Only problem is, I've not heard radio content which was ever worth listening to. Modern DJ's are awful, the music is always repetitive and never beyond top 40 drivel and the restrictions on what is allowed to air in terms of free speech, is embarrassing.

Seems Satellite radio isn't all that much better these days either, I'm afraid.

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Agreed. But there are :
Stations that are not top 40 stations. With some really good music.
News radio stations
Talk radio. And some really interesting discussions happen there.
Community radio. Sure it's dodgy but it's from your local town. And you should support the local radio stations.

So there is a lot more then top 40 trash on radio to listen to. And I think it's this that Apple is trying to get. Seriously if there was a really good discussion on talk radio I'd listen to it on the way to work if I could in my ipod.

Reaction score
A lot of markets also have rock and classic rock. It may be repetitive, but it's better than the trash my peers may listen to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Duo 4 GB Ram
I think this would be an awesome product. I'm not one to normally buy the new stuff right away, but if this came out, I would probably get it right away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Probably the only thing I listen to on the radio anymore is NPR, but with the NPR app, I don't really need the radio. For everything else there's Pandora :)

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of markets also have rock and classic rock. It may be repetitive, but it's better than the trash my peers may listen to.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. That's why all kinds of radio exist out there.

Reaction score
False alarm

"The Dark Secret iBiquity Doesn't Want You to Know"

"Hot in the news is a new patent application from Apple for what has been portrayed as HD Radio capability in iPods or possibly even iPhones. What's left out of the news is one important point: We're talking about an accessory here - not a core functional piece of the iPod hardware. That's abundantly clear from the title of Apple's application and completely missed by most of the radio industry trades."

Hear 2.0: The dark secret iBiquity doesn't want you to know

This was nothing more that an upgraded filing of commnications between a PMD (iPhone) and a remote device with digital streams of RDS information, such as analog RDS and HD Radio. The HD Radio Gigaware accessory falls into this category, as do remote receivers with analog RDS/tagging digital streams.There are no implications of built-in HD Radio.

Reaction score
"Digital Radio Tagging Using an RF Tuner Accessory"

"An accessory having an RF tuner for digital radio, such as HD radio, can be in communication with a media player such as a portable media device ("PMD"). The user can be given the ability to command the accessory to provide raw digital data, the ability to scan only for stations having digital audio content (or for all available stations), the ability to provide station lists of stations having digital audio content (or all available stations), and the ability to request and store metadata beyond that for stations actually being listened to provide enhanced search capabilities. Enhanced metadata and searching can provide the listener the ability to refine station choices without having to listen at length to any particular station, and further can facilitate tagging broadcast tracks for subsequent access and/or purchase."

United States Patent Application: 0100150276

I find it interesting how this patent's meaning was totally misconstrued in the Press and in forums.

Reaction score
HD radio for future ipods

I for one will certainly buy it as the music and DJ links will sound better, improving my listening pleasure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.