New AT&T account - porting an "ineligible" out-of-area number

Reaction score
I have pre-ordered a new iPhone 4, and will be setting up a new account with AT&T. I would like to keep my current cell phone number (Chicago - 773), but I no longer live in that area (currently Washington, DC). When trying to set up an account online (whether through AT&T's website or apple.com), I am told my number is ineligible for porting. After 30 minutes on the phone with AT&T, I got the same answer, but they suggested I set up the phone with a new number and then try to port my old number. I know there have been similar posts in the past, but I was hoping for some more up-to-date info. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
I have the same situation, my wife and my numbers are from AZ (480), and we're in VA (757). We went to a corporate store (not one of the kiosks or little stores in a strip mall) and they said it's no problem to port those numbers. The only time it's a prob is if your plan somehow has two different area codes then they can't do it. But you should be able to do it just go to a corporate store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.