No more 1.8 Ghz PowerMac

Reaction score
I just noticed that the 1.8 Ghz PowerMac is no longer for sale at Apple.com. That's the model that I have. I suppose that Apple thinks that noone will buy
one given that the iMac can be had with the monitor for $200 less.

I guess I have an antique now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
its still a nice computer, just a little outdated for the powermac.

B

badmojo

Put it on ebay and call it "rare 1.8 gHz Powermac". Just kidding. It's still a great rig.

OP
M
Reaction score
A big part of the attraction is the packaging and how quiet the system is. It has enough horsepower to be our family desktop. I suspect that Apple was selling quite a few of them to the folks that wanted a really nice package but didn't have the computing needs of the faster processors.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mmoy said:
A big part of the attraction is the packaging and how quiet the system is. It has enough horsepower to be our family desktop. I suspect that Apple was selling quite a few of them to the folks that wanted a really nice package but didn't have the computing needs of the faster processors.

I think it purely came down to the economics of having different motherboards compared to the minimal extra cost of shoving a second CPU in it.

btw, how much RAM have you got in your PowerMac? You can get 2G upgrades from Crucial pretty cheap at the moment.

Amen-Moses

OP
M
Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
I think it purely came down to the economics of having different motherboards compared to the minimal extra cost of shoving a second CPU in it.

btw, how much RAM have you got in your PowerMac? You can get 2G upgrades from Crucial pretty cheap at the moment.

Amen-Moses

I bought it with 1 GB because the cost of the memory wasn't that bad when I bought it. I don't see any reason to add memory at this time as performance is fine and we don't run anything that really uses up a lot of memory. The biggest thing that we run are Firefox builds which take a fair amount of time but a bunch of the processes just run in the background and really don't affect foreground performance.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
mmoy said:
I bought it with 1 GB because the cost of the memory wasn't that bad when I bought it. I don't see any reason to add memory at this time as performance is fine and we don't run anything that really uses up a lot of memory. The biggest thing that we run are Firefox builds which take a fair amount of time but a bunch of the processes just run in the background and really don't affect foreground performance.

1G is fine, I've only just upped mine to 5 because the deal was too good to miss but I can't say it has made much difference for most tasks. (4Gb cost me 300 quid btw and was in 4 1Gb matched sticks, they also threw in a free copy of FarCry DVD for Windoze which was a bit weird seeing as how I specified Apple PowerMac on the order. I found it a good home though.)

Amen-Moses

OP
M
Reaction score
Amen-Moses said:
1G is fine, I've only just upped mine to 5 because the deal was too good to miss but I can't say it has made much difference for most tasks. (4Gb cost me 300 quid btw and was in 4 1Gb matched sticks, they also threw in a free copy of FarCry DVD for Windoze which was a bit weird seeing as how I specified Apple PowerMac on the order. I found it a good home though.)

Amen-Moses

I could use 1.5 GB on my Windows notebook as I run enough applications to sometimes go over the 1 GB of memory in the machine and even two would help if I could find a free RamDisk.

I think that disk cacheing in OSX (and Unix in general) is very efficient and that having a huge amount of memory could help if you were doing a lot of disk accesses but I'd guess that the average desktop uses aren't demanding in that area.

I don't envision an application that will require us to need more than 1 GB at the moment though I think that it's pretty easy to add more on the PowerMac if some application does come up that's memory hungry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.