Backing up specific apps for a wipe

Reaction score
I've been having random troubles with my iMac (spinning ball all the time, mouse and keyboard won't work sometimes on boot until I reboot, automator won't run at all, and just generally slow). I did a clean install of OSX and restored my profile once and it didn't really improve. I want to do another clean install and restore just bits and pieces of my profile -- desktop, files, iTunes library(!) and a select few apps and their preferences. Is there an easy way to do this without backing up my entire profile?

The biggest thing is I don't want to lose my iTunes library. I want it to keep the entire library, ie what I've watched and haven't, dates movies were added and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well if knew what model Mac and OS you are using going to suggest Time Machine, format hard drive, do clean install with backed up Time Machine connected, and you can then transfer settings, files etc over.

First up boot from the install DVD and run Repair Disk from Disk Utility. Think you have bigger problems than software, such as a failing drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.