169 IP Address...AAARRRGGGG

Reaction score
well, i am a tech for a company and i do a lot of networking...mostly ADSL. i have read several threads/blogs about people starting to have this problem. what i have noticed is that there was an auto update from MAC on April 27, 2010, and i have been getting a 169 ip address ever since. i can go to PPPoE and manually put in an address like 192.168.1.150 and sometimes it will work. this problem started on April 27th with my Macbook. i also have a MAC desktop that still works fine in DHCP pulling a 192 ip addy, both using airport. my desktop didnt get the update. i have compared all of the settings i can find between the two machines, and cannot find a difference. if there is anyone who can help, it would be appreciated. as of now, i cannot even put in a PPPoE 192 address and get it to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I use to be a ADSL tech, still work for the same company but I other things now.

Try assigning a static IP on the problematic computer.
DHCP should work, but a 169 ip means the computer is not obtaining one on it's own.

I would also try power cycling your airport, while it's still set to DHCP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What is your network setup? What do you have as a router? Do you have any repeaters?

I've found when I get a 169 self assigned it usually because my Airport Express crashed - I can connect to it but the Express isn't connected anywhere. My DHCP server is a netgear router so since I never get to it I get a self assigned IP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.