Anyway Of Finding Properties On Files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 4S Black, 32GB iPod Touch
I've recently switched from a PC to a Mac and transferred over a lot of video files. I had information on the videos in the properties but can't access that on a Mac. Is there any way? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Try Right Click, 'Get Info'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Where did you set the properties? NTFS had some extra "stuff" for media that was only available in NTFS. So if you tried to copy it to a fat32 partition the properties would be lost. Same would be true if you copied them to your Mac.

So I have a NTFS hard drive that I can mount on my Mac - I can't see any of the titles, times, comments, etc from the Mac - but if I mount it on the windows partition(boot camp or parallels) all the data is still there.

If it isn't an NTFS thing then you'll probably have to provide more info.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
balloons the

Get Info shows nothing. They were just mp4 files, with things filled in under comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
Try going into a terminal in the folder containing the files and type "ls -l -F"; the properties will be listed with "rwx" for Read, Write, and Execute; the first three options are for the file owner, the second for the group, the third for everyone else, so you'll see something like rwxr-xr-x meaning the owner can do anything, and everyone else can read and execute the file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a complete novice, how do I open the terminal file?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
In your Mac HD, go into Applications (or there should be an Applications folder already on your dock if you've got Snow Leopard), then Utilities, then Terminal.

You'll have to get used to navigating the command line; changing directories is the same as it was under DOS, so "cd {directory name}" to drill down and "cd .." to go up one level.

The ls command is the equivalent of DIR; I've forgotten what the -l and -F switches stand for, I just do ls -l -F --color every time ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Also when I had Finder issues, someone mentioned a program called Easyfind (free) It's a great app, but there are also many other programs finder replacements.. Googling will find some free or pay.. I'm not sure tho you might have lost your comments tho unless you have the originals and you might be able to find a way to salvage them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.