MacBook won't turn on 98% of the time, help! Very weird things happening!

Reaction score
Hi there, any advice you have for me would me much appreciated. What happened with my Macbook is all very strange.

So, the morning before last, I was on my Macbook (which I bought in 2006 so it's on the older side, but otherwise worked great) and it was running low on battery. I was late for work so didn't plug it in before leaving. I left it open. However I have no roomates, pets, etc.

When I get home that evening, I plugged in the powercord and it wouldn't turn on. After trying a million different things, like taking the battery out, reseting the PRAM, etc, there were a few times where I got it to turn on, went through the log on screen, and was able to use my computer like normal for about 5 minutes or so, and then it would just shut off.

There were also many times when I would pres the power button and the screen would flash like it was about to turn on, and then it would make the noise that the computer makes when you're typically on 0% battery and it shuts down. Later in the night, when the computer was closed but plugged into the power outlet, it was by itself (meaning I wasn't pressing anything) making the noise that it was restarting. It made that noise about every 30 seconds for a few minutes. Weird.

It was also doing inconsistent things re: the sleep light. At times it was on, including when the computer was closed, and sometimes it would go from on to off. Also, the battery/charing was doing weird things. The few times I was able to get past the log in screen it showed that it was at 0%, even though the light on the adapter was green and it had been plugged in for a long time. Another time the battery icon had an X through it. I have 2 different batteries and neither one of them seemed to make a difference.

Also, yesterday I brought my computer into the Apple store and they put in a battery that was charged and it didn't seem to make a difference either. One more weird thing: when I did get the computer on in the spotlight bar it said it was indexing??

Anyways, I'm just confused/upset, etc. because I literally did nothing to the computer. I didn't drop it/spill on it, etc. I'm also frustrated because the guy at the genius bar litteraly only spent like 5 minutes looking at before he said i was SOL. He said it was the "main board" that was the problem. One of the things like I'm just confused by is if the main board really does need to be replaced, then how was I able to get the computer on and working those few times???

Sorrry this is so long, any help would be awesome!! I just don't have the money to buy a new computer, and I'm not sure it will be worth it for me to pay $300 to have it fixed when my computer's already pretty old and other things haven't been working for awhile (like my disc drive, camera). THANK YOU!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.