HUGE problem with Microsoft Messenger?

Reaction score
I am on a Macbook with the most updated OS. I brought my laptop in to school today but when i got home when i got into microsoft messenger my contacts came up as invites. Like "do you want to add them to your list?

Although on my contact list they are all appearing offline and have the block logo on them. Although they aren't actually blocked.

I have tried re-installing about 5 times!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano
yeah mine does the same. Does anyone have a clue as to why this bizarre problem is happening?

- Chris

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I wouldn't bother with the Mac version of Messenger, it's mostly bug-ridden junk.

Adium is what you're looking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D, iMac G3, iMac G5, eMac, Powerbook G4, iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 3G
I have to agree with cwa107, Adium is leaps and bounds better then Messenger in my opinion. It looks nicer too! :)

I ditched MS messenger two years ago, I use Digsby on my Windows PC's and Adium on my Macs, don't regret it at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+2 for Adium. MS Messenger is buggy enough in the Windows version, why would you want to use it on your Mac? If you're referring to running it from a Boot Camp installation of Windows, switch to Yahoo Messenger instead.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano
thanks for the replies, guys. I do have some good news... I have figured out how to fix it! Basically, you sign out of messenger, click "sign in with a different account or change your status" and then press the "clear account history" button thing. It takes a couple of goes (the first time I did it, the stupid pop-up things went from 20 invites down to two. On the second go they have completely disappeared)

Now I have no stupid pop-up notifications.

- Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.