MBP 6GB Ram upgrade crashes computer

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my Macbook Pro with 6GB of ram (went from 2GB - 6GB).

Since the install, my computer quits programs and often gives me the black shut down screen.
Sometimes after the crash, the computer will beep and get stuck in the silver loading screen prior to boot up. Other times, it will take me to the log in screen just fine.

When I reinstall the two single GB ram, my computer doesn't have any problems (albeit less memory).

Activity Monitor doesn't show anything extreme, yet the computer crashes.

I've ran several tests, and everything seems to be installed correctly. What else can I do to figure out what the problem is and get my computer stable?

My computer:
Snow Leopard, 10.6.3
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mid Summer 2008 Model

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Where did you purchase the ram from? And are you sure you purchased the correct ram (PC-5300)?

Sometimes not all ram is compatible with Macintosh computers.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's the correct memory for your machine and OWC does not sell cheap memory. I buy my memory from them also. All I can suggest is remove the modules, swap the larger module into slot one if it's not already there. Reseat them snugly but be careful. New modules fit tight and usually require a bit of force to get them to seat correctly.

It's possible you got a flaky module since the original memory works OK in the machine. If you still have problems, notify OWC and they'll gladly replace the modules with new ones.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought it from OWC. I believe they're compatibile; I followed their instructions:

OWC RAM LINK

Yes...OWC are good folks! Do what "chscag" suggests & swap the modules and see if that helps. If that doesn't help...two things:

1. Return the 4gig module of ram to OWC & get another.
2. Apple officially says that your MacBook Pro has a maximum ram limit of 4 gig. Although 3rd party folks have been able to upgrade it to 6 gig...maybe your specific MBP doesn't like 6 gig for some reason.

If swapping your current 2 ram modules doesn't work...then I would go with suggestion/idea #1 first (return the ram). But if you still have problems with a second 4 gig module...then maybe "theory" #2 may be the answer.

Good luck,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2. Apple officially says that your MacBook Pro has a maximum ram limit of 4 gig. Although 3rd party folks have been able to upgrade it to 6 gig...maybe your specific MBP doesn't like 6 gig for some reason.
This was my initial thought. Although the MBP may technically support 6GB, Apple only officially supports 4GB. Regardless of whether or not 6GB will work, it's important to note that anything more than 4GB may be problematic (hence why Apple only supports 4GB).

OP
J
Reaction score
:d

Thanks for the replies!

I tested each stick with the two slots in my MBP, while using Memtest86.

Turns out my 2GB stick is indeed faulty.
I'll be sending it back to OWC shortly.

Again, thanks for the replies.

For future readers: I highly suggest running Memtest86 when you buy new RAM!

Cheers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This was my initial thought. Although the MBP may technically support 6GB, Apple only officially supports 4GB. Regardless of whether or not 6GB will work, it's important to note that anything more than 4GB may be problematic (hence why Apple only supports 4GB).

Getting statistics on how many folks have trouble vs. no trouble upgrading a 4 gig ram limit MBP to 6 gig are hard to come by.

Personally I have not heard of anyone having trouble upgrading to 6 gig on one of these older 4 gig limit MBP's...but then as many of us know...folks that don't have problems don't post about it!;) And if no one is posting about problems...you assume that the 6 gig ram upgrade usually works.

This could be one of the first times the 6 gig ram upgrade doesn't work (assuming a replacement 4 gig module from OWC doesn't fix the problem).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tested each stick with the two slots in my MBP, while using Memtest86.

Turns out my 2GB stick is indeed faulty.
I'll be sending it back to OWC shortly.

That seems sort of strange. The new memory you purchased was the 4 gig module...one would assume that your old 2 gig ram module was fine. Were you having any problems with your laptop when you just had the 2 gig of ram?

If the 2 gig module is truly defective...congrats. By the way...how stable is your laptop if you remove the 2 gig module...and just use the 4 gig module?

Thanks,

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nick:

He bought a 6 GB kit. 1 each 4 GB module + 1 each 2 GB module. His original configuration was 2 GB consisting of 2 each 1 GB modules. The brand new 2 GB module turned out to be defective.

And like you I haven't heard of anyone having problems upgrading that model to 6 GB even though Apple only officially supports 4 GB.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick:

He bought a 6 GB kit. 1 each 4 GB module + 1 each 2 GB module. His original configuration was 2 GB consisting of 2 each 1 GB modules. The brand new 2 GB module turned out to be defective.

Thanks for clarifying!!! I definitely missed that detail. I was thinking that the OP originally had a 2 gig module...with one slot empty...and just added a 4 gig stick.

Uggg...I hate when I do that!!!;)

With that little detail cleared up;) (and a replacement 2 gig module)...I think that the OP will probably be just fine!!!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.