Os9

Reaction score
I have an iMac G3 with Mac OS 9 (yeah I know, dinosaur...) It actually runs OK, but when trying to install Quicktime 6 or iTunes 2, it says disk error and fails to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Thomas

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iMac G3 with Mac OS 9 (yeah I know, dinosaur...) It actually runs OK, but when trying to install Quicktime 6 or iTunes 2, it says disk error and fails to install. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Thomas

You're going to have to give us a lot more information!

- what are the specs of your iMac G3 (processor speed, does it have a CD or DVD drive, and how much ram)?
- does your computer meets the minimum requirements for Quicktime 6 or iTunes 2?
- what media are you trying to install from (disk image, CD, download from the internet)?
- if you downloaded it from the internet...where did you get it from?
- are you 100% sure Quicktime 6 & iTunes 2 is compatible with OS 9?
- how full is your hard drive?

One other thought...with OS 9 you can have lots of conflicts from control panels & extensions that are installed. Thus you may simply have some sort of conflict between on a control panel or extension...and the installer for Quicktime 6 or iTunes 2.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for the info. You didn't answer 1 question...how full is your hard drive?

Thanks,

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you happen to get an error code with that message? If so, is it one that is on this list?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.9 GB is available out of 6 GB total

Thanks again for the info. Sometimes almost full hard drives can be troublesome.

You can try this:

- Boot/restart your computer holding down the "Shift" key. This will disable unnecessary control panels & extensions.
- Do the installs of iTunes 2 & Quicktime
- restart the computer (no holding down the shift key)

Hopefully this will work,

- Nick

Reaction score
Dont run the installers from the desktop..put them in a folder and boot with extensions off..hold down shift key at start up..install the programs. Do you have the latest version of unstuffit for OS9.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.