• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What software to use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I am a hobbyist 3D artist, and usually do just still images. I do want to start learning animation, and understand that rendering the clip to an image series is better than going straight to a video format since there is no compression and each frame can be easily post-worked. My question is what software would be suitable for this. I have iMovie that came with the iMac, but it doesn't seem to be right for the task (of course I haven't really dug into it that much). Any recommendations for what would be the right software to use to create an animation from sequential images?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hi,

Are you asking which software would be best suited for generating the individual frames, or which software would be best suited for taking those frames and building the movie?

If the question is the latter - yeah, you can't really use iMovie for that - assuming that it's a standard animation export where 1 picture = 1 frame iMovie isn't your tool as (xstep can give the exact number here) iMovies minimum time for a still picture (or 1 frame of animation) is I think 4 frames which kills it from being fluid.

I don't have my editing system in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you can set still lengths to a single frame within Final Cut Express. I know the capability exists within FCS studio using final cut pro, but I think you can get away with using FCE which is a lot cheaper for hobbyest.

OP
Chef_eam
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I will be rendering the frames from either Carrara or Vue. I was just usure of what affordable software would be good for combining them into the final animation. I will definitely give Final Cut Express a look. Thanks for the reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.