How do i create more than 2 partitions on my mac?

Reaction score
Hi,

So I have got a macbook pro. The thing is is that i now want to install both windows 7 and ubuntu on my mac as well as keeping the mac OSX, but i am aware that bootcamp will only let you make 2 partitions. How do i get around this?

Thanks for any help!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I don't use Bootcamp at all, use iPartition. You would have to use a bootable version of it, but that would allow you to make as many partition as you want. There are tutorials on their website that shows how. Also, instead of holding down the ALt key at startup, download this free program called ReFit, it boots with the computer, and gives you access to all the partitions in a nice menu automatically.

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't use Bootcamp at all, use iPartition. You would have to use a bootable version of it, but that would allow you to make as many partition as you want. There are tutorials on their website that shows how. Also, instead of holding down the ALt key at startup, download this free program called ReFit, it boots with the computer, and gives you access to all the partitions in a nice menu automatically.

Hi thanks for your help. I was thinking of using ipartition, but one thing that i would just like to know before i do is would i have to buy it, or is just creating normal partitions available in the demo/free version? What are the limitations of just using the free version?

Thanks again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Instead of using and paying for iPartition, you can simply boot the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and then use Disk Utility to create a partition for Windows 7 and one for Ubuntu.

The utility referred to in the first post is rEFIt (free open source) which is actually a boot manager for EFI. Make sure you read and understand how to install and use it before doing so.

And a big warning: Backup, backup, backup! We get folks posting in this forum quite often telling us how they accidentally overwrote their OS X partition trying to install Ubuntu. Linux GRUB has no mercy or forgiveness for mistakes. It will nicely overwrite your OS X boot sector and you'll be pulling your hair out trying to make things right. :Shouting:

If you're not a gamer you might want to download the free VirtualBox from Sun Microsystems and install Ubuntu and Windows 7 as virtual machines instead of triple booting.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.