How do i now if my Iphone 3Gs is jailbroken or unlocked

Reaction score
Is there anyway to find this out?

I bought it out a phone shop in Thailand for about £560 last nov. It works great but i know if you install updates on a jail broken phone you are in trouble as the phone shuts down............rite?

The thing is, i "think" i updated it when i was drunk one night not long after i got it, and i know if it is sim unlocked that you can update it............

I am in Scotland right now so will my regional location make any difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
if you update the OS on a Jailbroken device the Jailbreak will be gone.. usually a decent sign your phone is Jailbroken is if you have Cydia on it. what update can not be done according to you ? it's not the SIM that's locked but the device...

to me, it sounds like you have some incorrect information..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
it's not the SIM that's locked but the device...

to me, it sounds like you have some incorrect information..

Actually "sim unlocked" is the same as the phone being unlocked, it's just another term for it. The phone is locked to a specific carrier and only accepts SIM cards from that carrier as valid. A SIM unlocked phone will accept cards from any carrier.

So unlocked, SIM unlocked, factory unlocked...all mean the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Actually "sim unlocked" is the same as the phone being unlocked, it's just another term for it. The phone is locked to a specific carrier and only accepts SIM cards from that carrier as valid. A SIM unlocked phone will accept cards from any carrier.

okay, never heard it called that... i know about unlocked 'cuz mine is unlocked so i could use it when i was in the motherland (after i bought a cheap SIM card)

tks.

OP
Bahja
Reaction score

Cheers.

i have used it with 3 different SIM's in 3 different countries and never had a problem getting 3g reception, MMS, WiFi and edge internet. The phone has never given me a single problem since i bought it, there is no lag or flickers from it when i ask it to do anything................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
sounds like it's unlocked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
if you update the OS the Jailbreak will be gone..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
I take it that means the phone will be unusable?

no it will still be useable but you can only get apps from the Apple App store and not from Cydia/Rock Your Phone/Ice...

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
no it will still be useable but you can only get apps from the Apple App store and not from Cydia/Rock Your Phone/Ice...

Thanks. I have never used any hacked apps. Everything i have used is from the official Apple App store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
in that case, don't worry about the Jailbreak..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
Screen-shot-2010-02-02-at-1.51.41-PM.jpg

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
Thanks a lot roeiboot. If anything is seems a bit quicker when i brows about online.
I assume that when the IOS4 or what ever it’s called comes out it is for the 3Gs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
iOS4 works fine on the 3g (been running it since Beta1 on my 3g), there are just some neat features that will not work on the 3g but they do on the 3gs, like multi-tasking, orientation lock & wallpaper on your Springboard. (which can be enabled with a Jailbreak and editing a certain file --did that on my 3g with Beta4)

see sig, upgrading to a 3gs myself today.

OP
Bahja
Reaction score
iOS4 works fine on the 3g (been running it since Beta1 on my 3g), there are just some neat features that will not work on the 3g but they do on the 3gs, like multi-tasking, orientation lock & wallpaper on your Springboard. (which can be enabled with a Jailbreak and editing a certain file --did that on my 3g with Beta4)

see sig, upgrading to a 3gs myself today.

I am not that worried about getting stuff ahead of the rest of the crowd mate. I’ll just wait till it comes out via Itunes.............

Thanks for the help again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
i had my reasons (if i was that much into getting ahead i would have gotten a iPhone 4 and not a 3gs :}.... and no problem, glad i was able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.