Green dots/lines on screen, turns on but doesnt boot

Reaction score
A week or so ago I had a couple instances after the screen being covered with bright green and gray lines/dots. Seemed to come out of no where, but went away after a restart or just rotating the screen on its hinge.

But now when I go to start the computer it turns on and goes to the gray screen with apple logo. You can see the green dots within the logo, but nowhere else. Then the logo goes away and the whole screen is covered. And there's the message I'd never seen before.

Here's a photo I took of the screen. Its some strange matrix of green and gray plus the error message.

4707193455_b541185e93.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Looks like it's probably a video card or logic board issue. Should take it in to Apple.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, logic board was what I'm worried about. Took it to apple yesterday but they were too busy. Not sure when I'll have time to go back, definitely late next week at the earliest. If its a video card is that replaceable on its own? Is it expensive?

BTW, computer is a MBP, purchased around August 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
You are having the exact same problem I had with mine. I went through 2 MBPs untill my 3rd one now, which also have the same problem a year later. The first 2 went within a year, and this one after a year. They all were related to the video card and logic board. If the Apple "geniuses" determine it is the graphics card, Apple extended the warranty on these cards from that model year for 3 more years, so there shouldn't be a problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Well that gives me some hope. But I wonder if that warranty is still valid since I've had the computer open before. I replaced the hard drive and the left i/o board was replaced six months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you replace the i/o board yourself? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, it's worth a shot.

OP
C
Reaction score
I had a local computer place fix it. I've replaced the hard drive myself but had them test and replace the I/O board (water damage). I've been gone all weekend so still no update on the computer. Hopefully I can find time to go to an Apple store tomorrow or the next day.

OP
C
Reaction score
Finally had the chance to get an appt at the genius bar yesterday. Pretty much all good news!

The guy said the video card had failed, and as mentioned, it's under warranty because they're faulty. He said they have nearly a 100% failure rate. So, it's fully covered under warranty. I was surprised about the video card being able to be replaced independently of the logic board - well, I was mistaken, it can't be. So, in order to warranty the video card they need to replace the entire logic board! So really I'll be getting 90% new internals for free.

I'm just hoping that everythings OK with the previous work done on the computer and it doesn't void anything (fingers crossed). Also, the logic boards are behind schedule in production so it'll be a week till they can repair it. But no big deal, until then I can do most of the browsing I need from work or from my Droid. I'll gladly put up with that not to have to fork over $2000 to get an iMac and iPad (my planned replacement for my MBP).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh that's good, glad it all worked out for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.