Stuck at grey screen

Reaction score
I'm having some problems booting up mac running snow leopard. As soon as I turn it on it boots but stays stuck on he grey screen with the logo and spinning dotted circle, it just hangs there...doing nothing. Trying to fgure what was going on I booted using SL install DVD and ran permissions and repaired the disk according to that it was fine. This is the weird part, for some reason I cannot select my mac HD as my startup disk (it doesn't show up), I can only select my xp partiton and the install DVD. If I turn it on and hold the option key the xp and mac partiton show up, but when I select the mac HD to boot up with it gets stuck at the grey scree. What might be going on?

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok after booting into single user mode I typed in /sbin/fsck -fy and it oy spat out bunch of checking catatolg files, catalog hierarchy, volume bitmap... At the end it said that the mac HD appeears to be ok... Not sure what is going on here

Reaction score
How did you fix it.

So how did you fix it in the end?

Ok after booting into single user mode I typed in /sbin/fsck -fy and it oy spat out bunch of checking catatolg files, catalog hierarchy, volume bitmap... At the end it said that the mac HD appeears to be ok... Not sure what is going on here

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.